PDA

View Full Version : Tub ?

siii8873
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I replaced my rotten SIII tub with a SII tub. The back panels are completely different as far as hole patterns. The SIII had square holes for the rev lgts, three hole pattern for plate light, and two holes for the badge. The replacement has holes as oer the attached picture. What was mounted in these holes (same both sides). Was there a different type of rev lgt or was it something else? I may need to cut the square holes from a pattern from the SIII tub. Thougths / insights?

BackInA88
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Here's the way my 71 IIa looks.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Land%20Rover/LandRover70.jpg

siii8873
07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
That's the same as my SIII tub was. Can't figure out what was mounted on this tub. What is the long plate for on the door. Most of these are much shorter. I'm working on my rear door now. I thought I was done cleaning / restoring parts. There always seems to be one more!

BackInA88
07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
The PO put it on to cover the old rear tire carrier holes.

Leslie
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I got rid of my SIII's rotten tub and used a SIIa tub too (they're usually in better shape, less corrosion).

The earlier Rovers didn't have the square reverse lights that the III has. I never found them effective anyway, so instead of putting them back in, I just mounted a square Hella worklight, wired into the reverse switch instead. Much better light that way.

One thing you run into is the LHD/RHD differences, as to which side the tag light is mounted, the oval plate, etc.

The rear panels on my replacement tub weren't perfectly straight, either. So, I took a sheet of aluminum, cut it to be the right width to fit the height of the tub along the edge of the door-jamb. I then put it on a sheet break and bent a 90 along the edge, to wrap the corner into the door-jamb. Put it into place, then used a sharpie to mark the waist-curve of the tub's outer side. Used a nibbler to cut the curve, with the vertical bits done on the break. Then, I used body glue to glue the new panel to the outside. Then when the galvanized capping for the rear lights goes on the outside edge of the tub, you can't tell that it is there, unless you look "really" close inside the door jamb.

FWIW...

siii8873
07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Did they have reverse lights on the older rovers, pre SIIA? I've studied / compared my new tub to my replacement and decided to cut in the reverse lights from my SIII into this tub. All the other holes can easily be covered up / used for my reverse lamp and badge. I took some stiff paper and made a pattern from my old tub. I was thinking of using a cutoff tool, kind of like a die grinder. Are there any things to watch out for cutting aluminum sheet? I have an old beat up wing I will practice on.
I also think I'm going to just eliminate the rear side lights, no holes for them either.