PDA

View Full Version : dang bugeye

siii8873
11-12-2016, 03:25 PM
I have been working out the bugs on my bugeye after a multi year refurb. I had it running good until about a week ago. Then it started pulsing, very hard to feather the accelerator from idle to go, surging, poor starting after warm and surging. Thinking carb problem I started looking into it and noticed that the spring on the control levers had loosened up making for a bit of lost motion in the linkages. Corrected that and it was running very good, smooth acceleration / idle for a few days. Then yesterday iit started stalling at idle.
Otherwise running/starting fine. DANG!

Opabob
11-12-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm sure others will have better advice, but some things I had to fix re. stalling at idle: fix vacuum leak in brake booster, replace coil that failed to spark when engine was warm, switch to electric fuel pump (probably not necessary but figured it couldn't hurt).

siii8873
11-13-2016, 11:13 AM
It was the brake booster. I just hooked up the booster a few days ago. In hindsight I was thinking that the booster did not make much difference in braking after hooking it up, but the problem took a few days to start happening. Plugged the manifold port and now running fine again. We will have to see what's next ha ha.
Sad part is that this is a new booster.

lumpydog
11-13-2016, 08:38 PM
It was the brake booster. I just hooked up the booster a few days ago. In hindsight I was thinking that the booster did not make much difference in braking after hooking it up, but the problem took a few days to start happening. Plugged the manifold port and now running fine again. We will have to see what's next ha ha.
Sad part is that this is a new booster.

Little carb cleaner sprayed around suspected leaking areas will expose vacuum leaks...

cedryck
11-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Small leaks around the intake, and where the carb meets the manifold can create re-occurring symptoms of stall and poor performance.