PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 Petrol. The mystery oil leak.

SamuelP
11-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Hello all. I am new to the series Rover's (have always had Discoveries) and found this one in decent running order in a barn last fall. It is a 1973 US Series-3 88 with the 2.25 petrol. I recently developed an oil leak from this roughly 10mm diameter 2cm deep hole between the distributor and head. The hole has no threads. At idle, the oil level will slowly rise in this hole and if rpms increase, oil will flow out rather quickly. When first checked, the oil looked to be about a quart high, but after lowering the oil level to right between Low and Hi, the leak persists. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Les Parker
11-30-2016, 06:45 AM
Hello and welcome to the BBS for Series Landrovers.
The camshaft bearings sit beneath these 3 holes, so I am surprised you have a leak here. A seep is not unusual, though.
No other issues with the engine?

SamuelP
11-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the BBS for Series Landrovers.
The camshaft bearings sit beneath these 3 holes, so I am surprised you have a leak here. A seep is not unusual, though.
No other issues with the engine?

Thanks for the response! So, when I parked it, it was sputtering slightly but this didn't surprise me as the points, cap and rotor were badly corroded. I cleaned up the corrosion and now it idles great, although anything over idle causes a steady stream of oil out of the front hole. My fear is that it may have spun a cam bearing. The bottom of the hole (what I'm assuming should be a continuous surface being the back side of the bearing) has a step down where the oil starts to flow from. Am I on the right track in assuming a spun bearing?

Thank you much. I appreciate the advice.

Les Parker
12-01-2016, 03:53 AM
Either a spun or shifted bearing.
Has the vehicle stood unused for a length of time?

SamuelP
12-01-2016, 06:13 AM
Either a spun or shifted bearing.
Has the vehicle stood unused for a length of time?

Thats what I was afraid of. Yes, it sat for five or more years before I found it.

lumpydog
12-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Sam - also, be sure to get a vacuum tube on that distributor's vacuum advance. And, it looks like you may be out 180 degrees. I think *Think* the vacuum advance is meant to be rear-facing on that disty model.

cnfowler
12-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Sam - also, be sure to get a vacuum tube on that distributor's vacuum advance. And, it looks like you may be out 180 degrees. I think *Think* the vacuum advance is meant to be rear-facing on that disty model.

You are correct. Good catch.

Colin

blueseriesii
12-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Given that this hole leads directly to the camshaft bearing shouldn't it be sealed in some way ?

Les Parker
12-13-2016, 02:52 PM
No, the cam bearings seals the holes.