PDA

View Full Version : Gear lever - Is this bad?

Kickinthetires
12-05-2016, 02:29 PM
So...anyone have initial diagnosis if I depressed the clutch, pulled the lever to shift to neutral and had the metal shift lever snap off? I am a new Series IIA owner, so I don't know if there is a common transmission issue, or perhaps I have a clutch problem and the metal lever weakened over the year I have had the truck each time I shifted? Thanks.....:(

stomper
12-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Pretty normal occurance. The vibration of the shift lever, and the sheer forces of shifting causes the lever to weaken, and then it breaks in two. Just get a new shift lever, welding them doesn't seem to work too well.

tmckeon88
12-11-2016, 08:23 AM
I was on the road south toward Santiago, Chile in my 1969 Series IIA when this very thing happened. Exactly as Stomper said- metal fatigue from vibration over many years. I had that one welded but replaced it with a new one when I got home. Actually that same thing happened to me on my Series III back in about 1989. It's a good opportunity to clean up that whole shift lever base area, lube up the reverse gate and check the selector fork seals.

Tom