PDA

View Full Version : Draining old tank? Coating new tank?

2roverlabs
12-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Replacing Series III OEM fuel tank. Best way to drain it without running it dry?

Also want to pre-treat the new tank to prevent external corrosion. What treatments do people recommend? Treat pre or post installation?

Thoughts appreciated.

stomper
12-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Original tanks should have a drain in the bottom, no? If not, pull the pickup tube from the top of the tank, drop a clear siphon tube in there, and siphon into a fuel tank sitting on the ground.

Can't help with coatings, but some like the POR-15 products. There are stainless steel tanks available again if you want to go that route as well.

lumpydog
12-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Stomper covered it. I've taken lawn mower fill cans and used clear tubing to syphon out most of the gas - then poured the gas into my other car. The remaining fuel can be removed via the bottom plug or just let it evaporate.

Be careful when screwing with fuel like that. Do it in a well ventilated location and remember that fuel vapor sinks - so don't do it in a garage that has a "pit" under the vehicle. The vapor can collect there and it gets dangerous.

If you are going to treat a tank, you will need to do it before you install it. POR-15 seems to be the most popular do-it-yourself approach. I'd stay away from the "gas tank renu" franchise - my research and personal experience is that they cut tanks open to treat them and do a dodgy job of closing them back up.

stomper
12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Damn! You take all the fun out of Rover work! Next you are going to suggest I shouldn't use a lighter to look into the tank! ��

cnfowler
12-12-2016, 09:07 PM
...Next you are going to suggest I shouldn't use a lighter to look into the tank!

Literally laughed out loud on that one!

Colin

Les Parker
12-13-2016, 02:42 PM
I've had good success with this :-

http://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits.html