PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Wiring Issue

travyoung
12-20-2016, 10:44 AM
I recently purchased my first Land Rover. It is a 1979 Series 3 with the Petrol engine. I am already being initiated into the charming project nature of them (which is part of what I was looking for).

My ignition switch recently came loose and in trying to get it back mounted I must have knocked a wire or two loose (I say or two because I found 3 wires loose on the back which may also account for my speedo not working). Electrical isn't really my specialty so I was hoping yall could point me in the right direction. I tested wires until the thick brown wire actually gave me lights on my dashboard, but wouldn't make the engine crank. Below is what it currently looks like.

I currently have three workshop manuals on order, but I was hoping yall could get me back on the road before they arrived. Let me know if anyone can point me in the right direction!

lumpydog
12-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Check here (http://www.roversnorth.com/files/Images/category/LR-page84.pdf) - on our host's website. That diagram shows the wiring for a Series 3

It looks like your
- Two browns should be on terminal 1.
- Your White on terminal 2.
- Two White/Reds on terminal 3 (you can see a available terminal extended off the already connected white/red)
- With a heater (not shown in the wiring diagram), I believe there should be a wire that goes to terminal 4 but I'm not sure of the color - should be brown/orange.

P.S. Welcome aboard!!