PDA

View Full Version : tubless tires on Series rims

PH4
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
My 1962 and 1972 109s have 7.5x16 tires with tubes. I now need new tires on one and my tire guy says he wants to put on tubeless tires but run tubes because he has had problems in the past installing tubless tires on series rims. Is this correct? Can you run tubless tires on series rims (experience)?

Is it safe to run tubes in a tubless tire? Need to make decision fast. Any help appreciated.

Terrys
07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Rivetted rims should always have a tube installed, not necessarily so on welded rims. No harm running tubes inside tubeless tires. I have, for years.

siii8873
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I mounted tubeless tires on my 73 SIII rims. They have been holding air fine for at least 3 weeks. Of course I only have one trip around the block driving time on them.

Clive
07-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Have been running tubeless tires on 16" rims (welded) sans tubes for 2 y and they do not lose air at all. Was advised by another well known land rover shop that this was fine to do on welded rims....but that is only my experience and I do not know if there are any subtle technical reasons dictating greater risk running tubeless....

Terrys
07-19-2007, 08:33 AM
I never paid much attention when the guys at the tire shop were mounting up tires for me, but it used to be considered good practice when using tubes, to install a "flap" on the rims first. I don't know if they even do this anymore, or whether it was just on tubes used with biased ply tires. The "flap" was just aflat piece of rubber that went around the inner portion of the rim, like a big rubber band, to prevent the tube from chafing on the rim. I do know that it was always done on wire wheels, for the obvious reasons.

LaneRover
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I have only had Tubeless rims on my Land Rovers. Never had a problem.

Though I have some Military Rims, I have not used them on any of the trucks, these would require tubes and they do have the rubber that stops the tube from chaffing on the rim.

daveb
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
hi

I ran two sets of tubeless dunlop radial rover RT tires on two sets of old series riveted rims that were date stamped 1959 and 1962. I did not use tubes.

on my 88 (using the '62 rims) I had a few leaks here and there and once had to take the tire off to clean up around the valve hole, because there was a bad leak there. (had to pump up the tire once a month or so) I used some epoxy to fill the pitting around the valve hole and that solved the problem. I sold that vehicle in 2002 and AFAIK the new owner is stll using the rims the same way.

On my 109 I used the same set up from 6/2000 through march of this year. I had to fill one tire every few months, never did track down the leak.

I used both vehicle on and off highway, aired down to 20 psi off road and 10-12 psi on sand. no problems with flats or bead loss. my 109 has a mercuiser engine and would 90mph. no problems on the highway with this setup either.

my new rims are wolf rims that are the tube style. they are welded. I installed 5 new dunlop radial mud rovers, and one of them went flat and lost the bead within days of getting it mounted. it was due to rus on the sealing surface of the bead area of the tire. (i assume, thouh it could have been from around the valve hole)

rgrds
dave

luangwablondes
07-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I ran XZL's on my '76 swb series III from South Africa up to the Serengeti, through the Selous and back in 2000. Not a puncture, airleaks of any kind, although the tracks were some of the worst I have ever had the privilege to drive. Probably 80% of it offroad. No tubes. Just needlessly checked air pressure frequently. On the other hand, I had to replace the front left and right main springs at different times, and one of the main rear spring. Imagine carrying one of each as a spare.

PH4
07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
DAVEB, how did you like the Rover R/Ts? How do like them compared to the Mud Rovers?

badvibes
07-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Another one here running tubeless tires, BFGs, on 16" rims with no problems. They are the welded rims. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tubeless tyres were better for being less dramatic when a flat occurs. That a blow-out with a tubed tire may be more difficult to maintain control at speed. Just something to think about.

Jeff

daveb
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
hi

really liked rt's, they lasted a long time and never had any punctures or other problems. off road and on a great combination tire. There were a few occasions where I couldn't get through the mud that the guys with MT's could. I don't drive the truck daily anymore so I bought the mud rover thinking it would be a little better in the mud than the RT.

I bought them and the same day the brakes went out which prompted me to take the truck off the road and perform some long overdue maintenance. IOW the mud rovers have not seen any use yet other than driving back from the tire shop.

rgrds
dave

DAVEB, how did you like the Rover R/Ts? How do like them compared to the Mud Rovers?

LaneRover
07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I had always heard that tubeless tires are built differently and the tires themselves can rub through tubes if you use tubes with tubeless tires. I know that the stunt guys I work with put tubes into tubeless tires but that is so they can pump the tires way up to make it easier to skid the cars. This way they also don't lose control immediately if they happen to lose the bead.

Of course what they are doing is very short term.

Brent

daveb
07-20-2007, 09:11 AM
heard that too. never had one happen though.

Another one here running tubeless tires, BFGs, on 16" rims with no problems. They are the welded rims. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tubeless tyres were better for being less dramatic when a flat occurs. That a blow-out with a tubed tire may be more difficult to maintain control at speed. Just something to think about.

Jeff

Rat Patrol
07-22-2007, 11:34 PM
i have bfg at on my series 3 rims, going on ten years with no issues. i also recently put michelin xcls on a set of d90 rims after 3 months i have not noticed any problems.
my .02

Tillie
07-24-2007, 12:45 AM
I've always run tubes inside tubeless tyres with no probs. They are a great advantage (even with welded rims) if you need to go low pressure in sand.