PDA

View Full Version : Tips for connecting fuel hose to new tank

2roverlabs
01-01-2017, 08:20 AM
New tank is in. I'm concerned that the fuel filler hose is not seated far enough onto the tank (see picture). Hose is very inflexible and difficult to maneuver. Does it look seated enough (about 1" below the raised cuff of the tank intake tube)? Tips for seating its further?12158

64Blue
01-02-2017, 09:55 PM
I can't respond with rover-specific information, but I can say that in boats, when seating the various hoses and lines, you can (and should) use some kind of lubricant... either hose lube (insert joke here) or dish soap. This will allow you to seat all the hose all the way to the end of the barb... my $.02.

ninescorpions
01-02-2017, 10:01 PM
I am in the process of tank replacement. I read that someone has used some lubricant to help it slip down. But after taking off the OEM...I hear ya. It is tight as hell. I am considering to take the panel off that is just on the back side of the firewall between the front seat and back. It seems with a hand full of screws, you can then get to the neck of the feed line. I am thinking to disconnect there and then attach to the tank where there is more room to do so and feed it up through the port in the firewall as the tank is raised. I have no idea if this will work, but I am figuring I will have the same challenge you have otherwise.

You do have the hose clamp that goes on the fuel fill hose, right?

mearstrae
01-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Yes, regular liquid dish detergent works well when installing rubber hoses. I've been doing this for years. Always remember to put the hose clamp (jubilee clip) on first, it makes thing even easier.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

2roverlabs
01-03-2017, 08:07 AM
I have removed the plate on the back side of the firewall. The fuel hose is wider and more flexible at that end. Will disconnect from the fuel intake pipe. Hopefully that will give me the "flexibility" to better seat the end which connects to the tank. I will give some dish soap a go.

I do have a band clamp which i will install once I have it seated better. Will post a follow up photo.

lumpydog
01-03-2017, 08:17 AM
I've wrestled with this a few times. The first time I tried to do it with the back plate in place, etc. It was futile. You just end up scraping your knuckles or potentially damaging the hose on the sharp bulkhead.

Second time I did this I took off the rear cover plate and also removed the filler neck (four screws/nuts). Made it much easier to fit the rubber hose to the tank then the hose to the filler neck - then the filler next to the truck. A little Vaseline helped.

stomper
01-03-2017, 12:27 PM
It is a bear to fit those hoses, but doable. a new rubber filler tube is less brittle, and is well worth replacing while you are at it. Saves time, frustration, and you know it is not going to crack and leak once you put it all back together.