PDA

View Full Version : Proline 75amp alternator install

jacedo
01-08-2017, 05:33 PM
I've got a 65 Series IIA swb, which was previously converted to a Delco alternator (which was on its last legs when I bought the truck). I'' replacing it with the Proline 75 amp alternator, RoversNorth mounting bracket and the matching wiring harness, but am having some fitment issues on the install.

After installing the mounting bracket and the bottom bolt on the alternator, I've run into 3 issues:

1. The top adjustable bracket can't be tilted into the correct position to line up with the top bolt. Do I need a new bracket?
2. To get the belt somewhat tight, I have to tilt the alternator so far out to the drivers side, it hits a part of the frame. Is that normal?
3. Even tilted all the way out, the belt seems quite loose. For this conversion do people normally keep the same belt, or is there a different smaller belt recommended?

Thanks!

Les Parker
01-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Hi,
Have you the Lucas adjuster bracket or the AC Delco style?
Also, yes you would need the OE size belt (# RNC422 or PLC422).
Do you have some pix to share?

clearcut
01-09-2017, 11:20 AM
HI

What is your belt part number?

I just had that issue. I looked up the current belt part number and got outside diameter of the belt. I went down 1/2 inche from that size.

I due use Gates belts. My current belt is a GAtes 7375 V-Belt from Amazon.

josh t

jacedo
01-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Hi Les, thanks for the quick response. Here's a photo. You can see both the adjuster bracket (no idea how old it is or where it came from) and also the piece of the frame that the alternator is hitting in the bottom right corner. In the photo, the alternator is (temporarily) tilted all the way towards the engine just while I work on the install. You can see the shine new bolt partially screwed in place for reference.

Hi,
Have you the Lucas adjuster bracket or the AC Delco style?
Also, yes you would need the OE size belt (# RNC422 or PLC422).
Do you have some pix to share?

erik88lr
01-12-2017, 08:18 AM

My original alternator adjusting strap is straight, not curved. It's pivot point is down low on the front of the engine, with the top of the strap ending up at about the top corner of the water pump.

Les Parker
01-12-2017, 01:28 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=ERC6266&type=0&eq=&key=it

This is the bracket you should have to make it all work.
The cranked one looks like one of Ike's for the GM alternator.

jacedo
01-13-2017, 12:57 AM
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=ERC6266&type=0&eq=&key=it

This is the bracket you should have to make it all work.
The cranked one looks like one of Ike's for the GM alternator.

Thanks Les! Just placed my order.

Les Parker
01-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Goods should be on the way today, thanks for the order :)