PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 Electrical Woes

jbaxleyiii
01-13-2017, 08:51 PM
After quite a significant brake repair (all but the pads themselves) I was quite excited to drive my '72 109 only to find that my indicator lights and wipers no longer work. I took the dash apart and after replacing the flasher relay, I can't tell why neither item is working. The hazard switch turns on all indicator lights and pulses as expected, but the stalk won't work. The horn, and high beam lights do work from the stalk. All other switches seems to be working great.

Does anyone have any idea?! I really want to have my car driving again!

SafeAirOne
01-13-2017, 10:29 PM
The windshield wipers and the turn signals are the only 2 circuits on one of the fuses. Either the fuse is blown/not making good contact, or the wire supplying that fuse is...NOT supplying the fuse (unlikely).

Have a look here; You'll see what I mean: http://www.roversnorth.com/files/Images/category/LR-page84.pdf

jbaxleyiii
01-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Update: After fixing the fuse wiring, my battery was too low to power the indicators (hence the slow wiper motors). All is well now! Thanks for the help!

Hey Mark!

Thanks so much for the help! After checking what I could of the wires, my situation has changed slightly.

I now have no hazard of indicator lights, BUT my windshield wipers and motor do work (albeit very slowly?). I'm having a hard time tracing the green wires coming from the fuse box. Also, from what I can see in that diagram, is the second fuse (3/4) not in use? I have some wires coming from mine that look like they may go to some accesories?

Thanks!

ninescorpions
01-15-2017, 12:10 AM
Update: After fixing the fuse wiring, my battery was too low to power the indicators (hence the slow wiper motors).

Thanks!

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Was the battery your problem or high resistance wiring from the battery to the wiper motors? What exactly did you do to fix the problem. I ask this since my wiper motors are slow as well and I know I have high resistance to the starter solenoid...just have not gotten to that yet and I am sure that means I have low voltage/current levels in other areas. Curious what you found.

Cheers.

SafeAirOne
01-15-2017, 05:27 AM
Update: All is well now!

...from what I can see in that diagram, is the second fuse (3/4) not in use? I have some wires coming from mine that look like they may go to some accesories?

Good to hear it's working OK now. All of my fused circuits are used as well. All 4 of them. :sly:

...my wiper motors are slow as well and I know I have high resistance to the starter solenoid...

What does that mean (high resistance to the starter solenoid)??

Slow wiper action is often because the cable chain from the motor to the individual wiper wheelboxes is gunked up with hardened grease and crud and needs to be removed, cleaned, re-lubed and reinstalled.

ninescorpions
01-18-2017, 08:06 PM
What does that mean (high resistance to the starter solenoid)??

I found 70 Ohm resistance from my alternator to battery...which first makes a stop at the starter solenoid. I ran a new wire directly from the alternator to battery, but was wondering what other issues it may cause. I was curious if one potential cause for slow wipers was a low voltage condition. Sounds like your mechanical cause is more likely.