PDA

View Full Version : 73 88 Motor Mounts putting up a fight

ninescorpions
01-13-2017, 11:30 PM
So I am replacing (or attempting) to replace the motor mounts so my engine vibrates less (or that is the hope). I got top and bottom bolts off of the left side, but only the top off of the right side. Note those are mount bolts themselves, not the brackets to chassis or motor. The port in the chassis on the RH to get to the bolt is not big enough for a socket and no chance of a wrench. But it does have a bracket with two bolts so I removed those and so I started to jack up the engine via the sump and some lumber. But what I find is the entire chassis lifts...as if the mounts are still bolted on. I get a little movement, but vey, very little on the mount. I think it is more the right side than the left (keeping in mind my 73 is a left hand drive). The left hand side just has a simply structure. The right has a middle bracket that is between the chassis and motor mount. I am able to move the bracket on top of the chassis with a screw drive and some force, so as best I can tell it is not welded. What am I missing? Is it just 40+ years of self welding rust that is not breaking free? Potentially the threads of the bolt hooking on the motor side bracket? I tried breaking it loose a bit with a hammer, but really hard to get it in the vicinity to start with.

My only other option now is to remove the bolts out of the side of the block...and take out the entire assembly and deal with it that way. But since that is on the horizontal plane, the need to have the motor "hovering" so that the chassis or motor does not want to shift up or down as the bolt is extracted. Not excited about that. I was reading and researching...and I even saw someone post that the bracket on the right side may be welded to the chassis. For now, I soaked it in WD40 overnight and will tinker with it tomorrow.

I am also thinking that removing the battery, battery box, and other components in the area so that I can get a top down vantage point...not much space to work with from the bottom.

ninescorpions
01-13-2017, 11:47 PM
picture added...

cnfowler
01-14-2017, 03:38 PM
When I did my motor mounts, I just removed all the bolts and both brackets - frame side and engine side. Mine gave me no trouble. I was able to use a open end wrench on the bolts/nuts that I couldn't get a socket onto.

Colin

lumpydog
01-14-2017, 06:16 PM
If I recall correctly, I needed to take the mounts out of the engine block on the driver side. I think I was able to do the passenger side without taking the engine mount out of the block. In either case, don't be afraid to take the engine mount hardware out of the engine block.

If stuff is sticking. use a paint scraper, a very sharp chisel or a rubber mallet to encourage separation.

ninescorpions
01-15-2017, 12:12 AM
Roger that...brackets are coming off!

ninescorpions
01-18-2017, 08:04 PM
So I ended up removing the brackets off of the block. Still a tremendous PITA, but got it done...lol.

lumpydog
01-22-2017, 07:09 AM
So I ended up removing the brackets off of the block. Still a tremendous PITA, but got it done...lol.

Definately a fiddly, knuckle scraper of-a-job. Notice any change/improvement?

ninescorpions
01-22-2017, 11:14 PM

I have not fired her up yet. I am working on some other electrical needs and it is taking a while for the tanker sealer to cure due to the cold weather. I'm adding a fuse block, under hood LED lighting (since I spend so much time there), low fuel light, volt meter, etc. Good news is I think I fixed my speedometer issue (cable would not stay clamped due to the clip being broken). I did some homemade repair to it. I will have a lot of testing going on when she does get fired back up...lol.

ninescorpions
01-25-2017, 04:27 PM

I got her fired up today and YES, they made a big difference. After the engine warmed up, I kept thinking something was wrong because of how quiet and calm the engine was. I thought it was going to stall. But after a few minutes, I got used to the fact that it is idling smoother. Of course once you give it some throttle, I still hit some resonant frequencies on many items such as the gauges...so there is still a lot of vibration. However at idle it is greatly reduced. I am sure it is better even when I am driving, but I am too busy looking at gauges and listening for noises I shouldn't hear...lol.