PDA

View Full Version : my turn -- broken axle questions

andrew
01-25-2017, 01:40 PM
My wife was driving our '70 SIIA 88" to work this morning. When moving away from a stop light she heard a loud crack, followed by not being able to move the truck. After some helpful folks pushed her to a spot out of the intersection she called me. I only had about 5 minutes with the truck before I had to go, during which I confirmed the driveshaft was intact and that there was no power to the rear wheels. I then put it in 4 wheel drive and confirmed that it does indeed move forward and back in 4WD. I only went about 10 feet in each direction. Broken half shaft is my quick diagnosis, which seems most likely.

My questions, for those who have been through this or know more: (1) do you agree with the broken axle diagnosis, (2) is there a quick way to know which one is broken, (3) will I damage things more if I drive the truck home (10 miles) today to work on it there, and (4) in the range of things this seems a straightforward fix, but is it? I should note that I don't have a jack or serious tools with me at the moment, though I could get home and back with them today if I had to.

Thanks in advance for the timely help and any advice...

80sailor
01-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Yes, it's a broken axle.

It happened to me on my way in to work once as well. I put it in 4x4 hi and was able to get to work and then at the end of the day get it home without incident or further damage. Your results may vary.

While I wasn't the one to make the repair, I'm told it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck.

erik88lr
01-26-2017, 10:06 AM
I had both rear axles snap on a trail ride after installing an ARB locker on the rear diff. I guess one axle broke on a tough uphill spot and the diff transferred all power to the other axle and instantly snapped it. I suppose that's why some call the axle a driveline fuse.

I continued the trail ride in front wheel drive with someone towing me through the rough spots. I then drove about 50 miles home, also in front wheel drive. Made it w/o any problems.

When I took things apart to fix them I found that the axles had snapped at the outer ends, and it would have been pretty easy to pull them out on the trail. Instead the drive home did some more grinding of metal against metal, with pieces getting into the wheel bearings. I believe one hub was also damaged beyond repair, though it's been 20 years since this happened.

I've found that it's easy to pull the axles for inspection every few years and replace them if they're starting to twist at the splines. I also carry a spare set in the truck, which has resulted in nothing breaking in the last 20 years. :)

slowmo
01-26-2017, 10:35 AM
You'll have to remove the drive flange and pull out the axle to find which one broke and where. If it broke in the differential, you'll have to pull both axles, and remove the diffy. The diffy is quite heavy when you are laying on your back BTW so be careful. Then you can extract the broken end, inspect the diffy for wear, reinstall with new seals and gaskets while you are there, new axles (both?) and you are off to races with your bleeding knuckles.

bugeye88
01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Eric,

Welcome to the never ending tale of "How the Axle Breaks". The 10 spline axle dilemma is a topic that has been discussed many times on this site and other sites. It boils down to the fact that 10 spline are vulnerable to fatigue and failure and need to be replaced for long term reliability. Search this site for topics related to axle failure/breaking and you'll see many options and opinions. I would replace the the rear axle/diff with 24 spline axeles and an improved diff. May options there, which you will see in the posts. Consider contacting Bill at GBR (Great Basin Rovers) as he is well versed in Rover axels and Diffs. I had him replace my rear axel/and diff and it performs excellently and is MUCH stronger than the 10 splines.
KTF and Rover On!

Rob
Bugeye88

andrew
01-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the replies and info, everyone.

I drove home without drama or damage, it seems (?). I have 2 new axles on the way and will have a look to see which broke and where soon. My hope is for a nice clean break near the outer edge of the axle, I suppose, since I'm struggling to picture just how I could retrieve the rest of the axle if the break is more toward center. I don't relish pulling the whole axle structure and diff apart...

Would be nice if just this once it was an easy fix (ha!).

bugeye88
01-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Well if you drive without gusto and avoid abrupt loading, the 10 splines may OK for you, but they WILL fail again, easier than with other 24 spline and diff setups. The fix can be easier (but still no fun, let me tell you) if the break is nearer the outside than the onside of the axle. Most are near the beginning of the splines, wether they are inside or less commonly, on the outside. Hope the diff and bearings are OK also, even if it got you home, the stuff back there was munching around during the tip home. Let us know how it goes. Oh, do look at other discussions about this on this and other sites.
Cheers,
Bugeye88

darbsclt
01-27-2017, 07:42 AM
I suppose, since I'm struggling to picture just how I could retrieve the rest of the axle if the break is more toward center. I don't relish pulling the whole axle structure and diff apart...

Foundry 4X4 (http://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69_1676_1677&product_id=75), in the UK, sells a X Shaft Removal Tool which is, essentially, a collapsable rod that has a strong a$$ magnet at the end. I imagine you could experiment with making one yourself with off the shelf bits.

SafeAirOne
01-27-2017, 10:57 PM
My hope is for a nice clean break near the outer edge of the axle, I suppose, since I'm struggling to picture just how I could retrieve the rest of the axle if the break is more toward center. I don't relish pulling the whole axle structure and diff apart...

I don't think I've seen one break near the outer splines, but that doesn't mean they haven't. They generally never break in the middle--that's the strong part. Every one I've seen on the internet has broken at the inner splines at the differential, sometimes jamming a bit in the diff.

andrew
01-28-2017, 02:11 PM
I took the axles out today and I was fortunate: it was the long axle that broke, very near the hub end, just where the splines begin to taper out, to the inside. The axle just sheared off there. I was able to easily remove the axle and the broken bit from the flange. There were very few tiny steel pieces from the destruction, and I saw no evidence in the diff oil, which I of course drained and replaced. It's back on the road, with 2 new axles, all within an hour or so...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help, I appreciate it.

bugeye88
01-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Good you did both axles it appears to be time related fatigue rather than a one time loading issue, so the other axle would have likely failed soon. Do consider a 24 spline and new diff when this happens again. Congrats on your good fortune to have it at the outside splines rather than at the inside. As SafeAir said, it is quite rare to fail out there.
Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88