PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt zenith carb

dipasqum
02-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Greetings,

I have a 67 Series IIa 88 that I use off road around my property. Was pulling some logs out of the woods and dragged a log and then turned it off. 5 hours later and it turns over, but no start.

Noticed that the carb gasket had failed and gas was pumping out. So I rebuilt the carb - i took the liberty to put in a new mechanical fuel pump and a brand new distributor.

I'm getting spark to the plugs. I had the wrong float adjustment and so i changed it to the correct setting because I'd get one big backfire.

Now it cranks and tries to catch and a few times after that it backfires.

My plan is to re-verify the float adjustment

when I replaced the distributor, I made sure the rotor head was lined up exactly like the old one. But I suspect the timing is also messed up. Is there I was to verify the timing without a timing gun before I take my carb apart to verify the float adjustment?

Any hints or tips from those more experienced that might save me some time chasing down the wrong path?

Thanks!

erik88lr
02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Greetings,

Any hints or tips from those more experienced that might save me some time chasing down the wrong path?

Thanks!

Not meaning to be cruel, but I was taught as a cub mechanic to never change more than one thing at a time or I wouldn't know what broke, or fixed, a car. ;)

I'd start with the distributor - being sure that it is in time, firing order is correct, that sort of thing....

Good luck!

mearstrae
02-24-2017, 05:00 PM
First turn your engine over until the timing marks line up at top dead center. Remove the distributor cap and be sure the rotor arm is pointing toward number 1 spark plug wire. Also, while in there be sure the points are properly set. [If your back-fire is through the carb then, it's most likely a lean condition. If out the exhaust, it could be a rich condition. Because...timing can also cause these to happen.]

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb(Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S