PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size w/ out modifying trim

landrover77
07-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I've got a 1995 discovery, I love it and will probably keep
it for a long time (provided it treats me as it has been)

I would like to lift it, but just bought 4 new springs and fairly
new bilsteins. #1 can I still lift it using current setup-
just using spacers and new tyres? and...
#2 If I were to just put bigger tyres on (currently 235/70/R16)
-how big can I go w/out trimming panels & trims?
-when trimming those things, how does it end up looking
-lets say 3'' lift total (w/tyres)
-cheers!

Old_Bones
07-27-2007, 12:19 AM
First of all howdy everyone!

Sorry I don't have any input on your issue. I do however have a similar question. I have a 98 Disco 1 fitted with Old Man Emu medium duty springs and matching shocks. This provides me with approximately 1.5 inches of additional clearance. The current tyres are well worn BF Goodrich 235/70R16 M/T's. As it's high time for new rubber I plan on purchasing the same Mud terrain Goodrich Tyres in Size 235/85R16 E, a taller tyre of the same width.

The fine folks at Rovers North are shipping me a Proline Performance Wheel spacer set ,that I will fit prior to having the new tyres installed. Does anyone else have a similar setup? Need I be concerned about enough clearance to fit the taller tyre? Would it be to my benefit to also fit 2" lift spacers and longer brake lines?

Any insight or edgeamkated<sp?> speculation would be appreciated.

landrover77
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Do your BF Goodrich M/T tyres work well for all around driving
ie: roads in summer and roads in winter (any traction problems w/
roads freshly plowed)
Have you done this lift w/ spacers? Do you like it?

Old_Bones
09-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I have run Goodrich AT's, MT's and Goodyear Wrangler MTR ( HMHO- the Wranglers SUCKED! -poor wet pavement traction, very noisy on my Disco, but strangely enough the same tyres seem fine and have been an excellent performers on my wifes Dodge Ram 4x4).

Out of the 3 I have found the MT's to be the most satisfying for my driving habits. Lowish road noise for a tyre of this type and superb all surface traction. I have just fit 2" lift spacers, 2" lower front shock towers, and 2" inch dropped rear shock mounts. This is in addition to the OME Shocks ,springs and wheel spacers. My final choice in tyres where the BF Goodrich 255/85 R16' MT's I've only had this set up for a little over a week now, but my initial impressions are that I made a good choice. Plenty of clearance for both axle articulation and steering with awesome traction on all surfaces. I just have to be aware because of the larger diameter tyre my speed indicator reads about 5mph slower than I'm actually traveling and I seem to have a little vibration in the front end at speeds over 65mph, but I have 146K miles and its probably time for new bushings and a steering damper. So I'll see how it does after installing these items.

In the past I've also liked the Goodrich AT's as well. Low noise and great all around traction. I was very surprised as to how well they did off road in mud and snow. I ended up choosing the MT's because a little extra noise is a small trade off for the huge bonus in off road traction and a little extra noise doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned they seem to be the best tyre for me.

Old_Bones
09-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Do your BF Goodrich M/T tyres work well for all around driving
ie: roads in summer and roads in winter (any traction problems w/
roads freshly plowed)
Have you done this lift w/ spacers? Do you like it?

...forgive me for rambling on a bit, but after looking back at your question....

I must say no traction problems at all with the MT's in any conditions. We don't see much in the way of snow here near Seattle,WA , generally only a dusting here and there, getting a major dumping only once every 5-10 years. Our only daily driving challenge being wet roads through the winter months. The Mt's provide great wet and dry road traction. Don't expect the whisper quite ride of a set of Michelin radials, but they are very tame in the noise department for tyres of this deep lug type. I do however Camp, hunt, fish, and bust my butt skiing occasionally in both the Cascade and Olympic Mountains. In my experience you will have no traction issues on snowy roads, plowed or unplowed. The year around driveability of the MT's is excellent. They are a superb tyre.

bajabill
09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
HELLO DISCO RIDERS,, I PUT 2 INCH OME SPRINGS AND SHOCKS IN MINE AND I PUT 245-75-16 ON MINE WITH NO RUB PROBLEM!!! DID ANYONE ELSE DO DIFFERNT OR DID BIGGER TIRES??? THIS IS A 1997 SERIES ONE:cool:

landrover77
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I am still looking for a staight forward answer to my question -
I am looking for input on a specific issue pertaining to my original post
I you do not have insight then dont waist my time reading your own question and responses to it. The post I put up is what this page is about and I would like some wisdom on the question I proposed.

Thank you.

joshua.mcguoirk
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I've got a 1995 discovery, I love it and will probably keep
it for a long time (provided it treats me as it has been)

I would like to lift it, but just bought 4 new springs and fairly
new bilsteins. #1 can I still lift it using current setup-
just using spacers and new tyres? and...
#2 If I were to just put bigger tyres on (currently 235/70/R16)
-how big can I go w/out trimming panels & trims?
-when trimming those things, how does it end up looking
-lets say 3'' lift total (w/tyres)
-cheers!

#1 yes

#2 You can easily get away with 235/75/R16. With the lift you described 235/85/R16.

Have fun.

landrover77
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Thank you kind sir.
Thats what I was looking to hear.
sweet and simple.
I hope I did not offend anyone for my lack of patience.

Cheers

Terrys
12-12-2007, 05:21 AM
235x85R16 is no problem either, you will need to make a small bracket to push the corner of the rear fender out a hair (behind tire) however no trimming is necessary.