PDA

View Full Version : Dry Carburetor

79Series
03-27-2017, 08:04 AM
I have a new Weber carburetor on my 67 Series IIa and the truck starts immediately and drives great UNLESS I let it sit for a week or so. Then I have to run the starter for an extended period of time to get gas in the carburetor and start the vehicle. If I start the truck every couple days it starts right up. I've put a one-way valve in the fuel line as some have suggested, to prevent fuel from draining back from the carb, but it hasn't helped. I sure could use some suggestions on how to solve this problem.
Jack

mrmoose
03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Have you checked your oil? It might be leaking through the carb into the engine.

Contractor
04-03-2017, 06:07 AM
My Weber does that too.

It's hard to start even after a couple of hours of sitting........I've just gotten used to it.......runs perfectly otherwise.

blueseriesii
04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
I've put a small electric fuel pump in series with the mechanical pump on my 1960 Series II with a Solex carb. It came out of an OLD Subaru and I do not know the fuel pressure. I sometimes don't use the Land Rover for weeks at a time but when I do I just switch on the pump until I can hear it stop clicking (it's mounted on the firewall) and I now know the carb is full, at this point I can turn it off while the regular fuel pump pushes fuel right through it. It is plumbed in between the mechanical pump and the carb.

Doug

1960 Series II
1964 TR-3B (For Sale)

79Series
04-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Doug
Sounds like a good idea. Does this pump pull fuel through the mechanical pump? How is it wired?
Jack

erik88lr
04-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I've done like Doug, except my electric fuel pump is mounted in parallel to the mechanical pump, as I'd found that when mounted in series the mechanical pump had trouble pulling fuel through the electric one.
I just flick a switch wired to the + side of the coil to energize the electric pump for a few seconds and fill up the carb. Only have to do it if the truck has sat for a few weeks, which is about normal for me.

blueseriesii
04-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Jack,
I've mounted a switch on the dash for the electric fuel pump. As I say I do not know the pressure the pump puts out, or weather it has the same capability when trying to pull fuel. It is mounted after the mechanical fuel pump and it is powerful enough to pull fuel through the mechanical pump, I'm not sure all fuel pumps will do this. Have fun.
Doug

bugeye88
04-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Yep, I use a small electric pump after the mechanical one to prime my Weber carby and to help avoid vapor lock in the summer.I too have a switch under the dash to turn it on or off. All of this is the result of this lousy alcohol containing gas that evaporates if it sets for very long.This leaves the float bowl in the carb empty, needing to filled before it can fire the engine. These alcohol fuels have many other negatives than this. I recommend using Sta-bil 360 additive be added at every fill up, to get rid of the negative effects of alcohol containing gasoline. This also true when you don't drive the truck for long.
Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye 88

79Series
04-07-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. I'm still wondering where people pull the power from for the electric pump?

cedryck
04-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm still wondering where people pull the power from for the electric pump?

Use a tab from the fuse panel to access power, usually there are plenty of unused availiable.