PDA

View Full Version : brake shoe installation advice

DGG
04-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm rebuilding the brakes on my 1961 109. New drums, shoes(pads), cylinders and springs. I'm having a heck of a time getting the brake shoes into place. I can't overcome the resistance of the springs to seat them. Any tips or tricks to doing this job. I did the front ones fairly easy, but can't get the rears.

Thanks,
Doug

Contractor
04-03-2017, 06:03 AM
I use a long screwdriver or a socket extension for leverage. One end against the hub and the other pushing the shoe out so that I get it seated in the wheel cylinder.

If that makes sense.

DGG
04-03-2017, 08:08 AM
I use a long screwdriver or a socket extension for leverage. One end against the hub and the other pushing the shoe out so that I get it seated in the wheel cylinder.

If that makes sense.

I have the backing plate off the truck right now. Maybe I should wait until its back on with the hub and I can use the hub for leverage like you suggest. Thanks.

slowmo
04-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Be very sure that the top springs do NOT go to both shoes. There is a post on the backing plate for one end of the spring and the other end goes on the opposite shoe. You can do a quick search on this topic and find that many have fallen into this trap before you...including me.

DGG
04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Be very sure that the top springs do NOT go to both shoes. There is a post on the backing plate for one end of the spring and the other end goes on the opposite shoe. You can do a quick search on this topic and find that many have fallen into this trap before you...including me.
Having trouble with the rear shoes. The top spring is attached to both shoes.

lumpydog
04-04-2017, 05:56 AM
Try taking a look through this: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

DGG
04-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Got it done! Scratched up the nicely painted backing plates, but I can just touch those up. Just took a lot of force and physics, and stepping away from it for a few hours. But ready to install on the truck.

cnfowler
04-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Definitely easier to do while the backing plates are on the vehicle. Glad you got it done. Sometimes stepping away for a bit is the best thing you can do.

Colin

lumpydog
04-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Definitely easier to do while the backing plates are on the vehicle. Glad you got it done. Sometimes stepping away for a bit is the best thing you can do.

Colin

Some of the best advice ya can give a series rover owner