PDA

View Full Version : 72' Excessive Shifter Play

homchz
04-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone,

New to the group. My girlfriend wanted a project and she decided on a 72' Series II Rover. Great rig. But, I come from a Land Cruiser background. This is my first venture into the British Stuff.

Anyway, is there anything that can be done about the slop in the shifter without a rebuild. The truck shifts find but the shifter is self wobbles quite a bit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Image of the Rover added for fun...

Thanks you

SafeAirOne
04-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Another NH truck. Nice.

Shifter looseness...If the whole shift lever spins, then the set screw that fits into the slot on the shift lever pivot ball may be worn/broken/missing. You can access the set screw by pulling off the rubber boot around the pivot ball socket.

If it's just general sloppiness but the shift lever doesn't spin around, then the problem is with a worn or missing buffer on the bottom of the shift lever where in engages the slots on the end of the shift rods. This buffer will either be in the form of an o-ring (older shift lever) or a plastic washer (newer shift lever).

mrmoose
04-16-2017, 11:56 AM
That's a good looking project, sure seems to be a very solid starting point, hate to think what you had to give for one in condition like that, these days the price seems to be soaring.