PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap and Gearing Series 109

nbentley1
04-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Morning all, I currently have a 200tdi with an R380 and Series T Case with 4:11 diffs and the set up has been working great w Unfortunately I and now doing some towing and longer trips with more people and gear and am in need of a bit more power. I think the route I will take is a 350 small block to an SM 465 and the AA adapter to the series T-case. I need to be able to cruise at highway speeds and drag my trailer up and down mountains, my question is will the 4:11 differentials give me that flexibility or will I need to go for a high ratio T-Case. I do have a Roverdrive laying around that I used before installing the r380, but I'm not sure if that will work with the t-case adapter, or more importantly handle the HP / torque. Any feedback / suggestions is appreciated. Cheers.

mearstrae
04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
I always wondered why no one uses Land Rover v-8s in their swaps. My 109 is using an old style Range Rover drive train (with carb and manual trans). I know this would be hard to find, but a reworked early 90's v-8 (the ones with distributors) done with a carb & intake might be a cheaper swap. My 3.5 with a four barrel has more power than I can use, and at well over the speed limit. Being used for long distance camping trips and at highway speeds.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

o2batsea
04-28-2017, 07:00 AM
I Would urge you to do the LS swap (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/gm-gen-4-conversion-including-ls-51290.html#post502955). It is highly documented and the results can be amazing. It's about $12K, if you find a cheaper engine, a bit less. This will let you drag any trailer up to about 8 tons no probbo.