PDA

View Full Version : Learn to weld for frame repairs?

IIA
07-15-2017, 08:47 PM
The frame of my `70 IIA 88" has some nice rust holes and the rear cross member needs to be replaced (plus maybe about 18" of the frame back there). I'm trying to choose between learning to weld so I can do it myself or taking it to a garage. While learning to weld would be fun, my primary issue is probably the price (though getting it done right is pretty important too).

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? If I took a class and learned, could I rent a decent welding rig or would I need to buy one?

stomper
07-16-2017, 06:05 AM
I was in a similar situation with my bulkhead. Learning to MIG weld is not difficult, and you can learn basic skills through practice and YouTube videos. The biggest hurdle in this endeavor is the purchase of the welding machine and equipment. You will spend at least $1000 on a proper setup to get the task at hand done. You will have to consider how often you will use this equipment in the future, and if it is worth that kind of investment. If it is a one time project, you may be better off finding someone else to do it for you. Here in Maine, I live close to a boat building yard for Navy ships. There are hundreds of highly trained people who would be happy to take on a project after hours for a little extra cash, and ensure the job is done right.

nantley79
07-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Even if it cost you more to do it yourself, you'll have the equipment and skills to do the next repair that comes along

slorocco
07-18-2017, 07:17 AM
It would only cost you more the first time. If you own and work on your rover yourself you will have more opportunities to use it. Knowing how to weld is indispensable. Having your own equipment is even better. You won't need a huge expensive machine to weld a Rover chassis as it's relatively thin material.

stomper
07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Even a cheaper mig welder is going to be in the $1000 ballpark. Lincoln Handy mig, gas bottle, welding gloves, autodarkening welding helmet, a couple of welding clamps, a cheap welding cart, grinder and grinder wheels... it all adds up pretty quickly. I'm not discouraging anyone. I bought a setup, and did my own bulkhead repairs. I'm just trying to give you an idea about the cost of the equipment purchase price.

DGG
07-19-2017, 11:21 AM
You can get what you need at Eastwood for under $500

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

o2batsea
07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
I would save up for a new chassis

cnfowler
07-19-2017, 06:23 PM
I would save up for a new chassis

Well where's the fun in that?

(I would, too :))

Colin

IIA
07-20-2017, 10:24 AM
I can't even imagine how much that would cost.

Brandon-FL
07-22-2017, 07:12 AM
I can't even imagine how much that would cost.

$2799 plus shipping

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLE416IIA&type=0&eq=

IIA
07-27-2017, 03:42 PM
$2799 plus shipping

...don't forget labor. I saw a video of a full chassis replacement. It took a team of experienced guys a full day (or several minutes at YouTube's top speed).

cnfowler
07-27-2017, 07:59 PM
This guy did it all by his lonesome self in what appears to be two days.

https://youtu.be/nEzRPXZt-uk

Colin

o2batsea
07-28-2017, 07:04 AM
There's no way that the time and expense of a class will be more cost effective than a new galvanized chassis shipped to your door. Besides, even if you do become a certified welder and make the repairs you still have a 40-whatever year old chassis that likely has lots of other issues. Take the advice of the hive mind and do the chassis swap. It is a rite of passage for every Series owner.
The good thing, if you want to look at it this way, is that the change over will not only reveal other problems, it will give you the experience and satisfaction of overcoming those challenges.
Owning these things is not easy. Even after the chassis swap, the truck will never ever be "done". Your future holds countless hours and thousands upon thousands of dollars dumped into this truck. Relationships will come and go. Your career will change. You'll move half a dozen times. You'll have kids. They will grow up and move out. At the end of all that you will still have this Rover.

Les Parker
07-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Nicely put, a Series is for life not just for tinkering....

Star27buck
08-10-2017, 01:24 PM
I think I paid about $600.00 +/- for a 135 A MIG welder from Eastwood, including a gas bottle, gloves and a mask. It's 110 VAC and easily suitable for the thicknesses (14 ga.)found on a Rover chassis. Easy to learn videos are on youtube. It is a great deal of fun to learn. My welds are not pretty but have good penetration and are sound. Get a good grinder and you amature sloppiness will be easy toi hide under the paint. Thin sheet metal is more difficult and takes more practice. The bulkhead is about 22 ga.

Armordave
08-13-2017, 06:27 AM
There's no way that the time and expense of a class will be more cost effective than a new galvanized chassis shipped to your door. Besides, even if you do become a certified welder and make the repairs you still have a 40-whatever year old chassis that likely has lots of other issues. Take the advice of the hive mind and do the chassis swap. It is a rite of passage for every Series owner.
The good thing, if you want to look at it this way, is that the change over will not only reveal other problems, it will give you the experience and satisfaction of overcoming those challenges.
Owning these things is not easy. Even after the chassis swap, the truck will never ever be "done". Your future holds countless hours and thousands upon thousands of dollars dumped into this truck. Relationships will come and go. Your career will change. You'll move half a dozen times. You'll have kids. They will grow up and move out. At the end of all that you will still have this Rover.

Well said. I started with anoriginal frame needing work but not bad at all ( could have driven it for lifetime without problems) but if i had to do it over again i would get a new galvanized frame. The difference in time and money spent is worth it to not have any "unknown" issues going forward.