PDA

View Full Version : WTB Tailgate for Series 3

LH Drive
07-23-2007, 01:04 PM
She just went topless,,,well my Series 3 did and it needs a tailgate to keep the groceries from going all over the road. The kids ride in the back seats so i'm going to try and make it open to the side like a D90 rear door so they can use the step bumper on the way in/out. Would get a Defender rear tail gate but don't want to pay Defender price.
If anyone has some close up pictures (inside and out) I might just make one.

Clive
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I attached a regular Series tailgate using side hinges and anti-burst lock (removed all the drop down hardware). Works fine and the groceries (and more importantly offspring) remain within. I will attach photos FYI.
As you point out, means you can use the step and access is easy and more practical for most functions. Only provisio is door will not take a lot of weight...although you could probably strengthen it...
Cost of door was ~ $160 from Craddocks (or Paddocks), and shipping a few $s. Anti-burst lock and extra hinge was ~$40...oh, and a lick of paint.

Clive
07-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Shot of lock...

Clive
07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Shot of lock 2...

Clive
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Only further comment is that I attached the latch a bit too highh...:rolleyes: ...should have bee 2" lower as it is above the canvas line with the hood on. Also a bit close to the cleat... as you can see above. Can hurt the thumb nail when opening the door :eek: .

Clive
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Couldn't resist a shot of the truck taking the plunge....

LH Drive
07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the photos, in the next couple of weeks i'll try and Frankinstein one together out of alluminum and pop rivets since I already have the raw material.
Thats one clean Series Rover, nice action shot too.

LaneRover
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Until you got the door built and you don't want to lose groceries (or, I guess if you have too many mouths to feed) you could just put a hunk of 2X6 or 2X8 across the back. My brother does that when he takes the top off of his. The board keeps stuff from flying out and lies flat when he needs to carry some longer stuff.

That being said, he doesn't travel down the road with the kids in the back. Well, not busy roads at least.... .... or for a long distance.

Either way, a good way to keep the groceries in temporarily.

Jim-ME
07-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Rocky Mountain sells an aftermarket tailgate which if it is as good as their door tops it's excellent. They also sell stuff on E-bay under the name tallgypsy. I don't remember the price but I'm pretty sure it's less than other options.
Jim

LH Drive
08-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Anyone have any used Series hinges for sale? I need a pair for the tailgate i'm building.

singingcamel
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
i have a old series tail gait, rough but usable.$ 50.00..marc

singingcamel
08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
i have abunch of hinges, 5.00 each and the shpg is yours..marc

LH Drive
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey Singing Camel, i'll take a pair of series hinges. I need the kind that Clive posted on his tailgate picture.
I've already built my allum. tailgate and just have to drop it off at the welder. I could also use the flat metal piece with the hole in it that attaches to the top tailgate corners so you can lock it on the clips mounted on the tub.
Send me a PM with the total so
I can mail you a money order.. Thanks

Winston-Rover
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I've already built my allum. tailgate and just have to drop it off at the welder.

how about sharing some pictures of the tailgate when it's complete? maybe with a detailed write-up of how you did it?!!:):)

LH Drive
08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
The tailgate frame has not been welded yet, it's just placed together for the picture. This is how it will look, a flat sheet of alluminum will get pop-rivets on the inside so you will not see any from the outside of the truck.

LH Drive
08-19-2007, 03:31 PM
I used 3/8 thick allum C-channel for the frame. I cut off about 7/8 on the inside lip so the door frame will close and make the outside flush with the body. This is a slow process and I should have this done in the next two weeks.

singingcamel
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Anyone have any used Series hinges for sale? I need a pair for the tailgate i'm building.

wondering if you got the hinges yet? you canpay thru paypal:confused:

LH Drive
08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Not here yet, Even if they don't make it give me the total and I'll paypal you the amount. My allum frame is still at the welding shop. As soon as I get it I'll post some pics.

LH Drive
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Fed-Ex arrived. I did'nt realize they made them to open different directions,,my bad. I need the one pictured in the photo thats outlined in black next to the one you mailed me. I'll still pay you for the ones you mailed plus shipping and add the cost of the ones I need with shipping also. PM me the total and I'll wire you some cash via Paypal. Im going to need two...Thanks

LH Drive
08-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Got the tailgate frame back from the welding shop. I plan to just polish up the allum tailgate and not paint.

LH Drive
08-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I smoothed out the back side welds so the flat allum sheet will go on flush on the frame.

LH Drive
09-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Finally got this installed..Thanks SingingCamel for the hinges. I'll polish it up in the next week but I don't plan on painting it, I like the allum look. I also striped off the paint on the galiv trim, rear seat base, front bumper and windsheild frame on the LR. Looks like a whole new truck.