PDA

View Full Version : VDO fuel gauge compatability 1961 109 Station Wagon

DGG
08-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I'm trying to install a VDO fuel level gauge. I have this sender: http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLH652&type=0&eq=&key=it

It's not working. I believe I have everything hooked up properly but when I turn on the key the fuel gauge pegs beyond full. I think I have about 8 gallons of gas in the tank. Not sure if the gauge and the sender are compatible. The gauge has an ohm range of 10-180ohms. If I disconnect the sender completely, I still get a pegged gauge. If I hook up directly from the battery positive terminal to the gauge, I get a pegged gauge. Tested the gauge as per VDO testing procedures, and the gauge is good. Not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks,

mearstrae
08-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you have the "Hot" (positive) wire going straight to the gauge and not going to the sending unit. The positive has to go to the sending unit, and then back to the gauge, so it shows the measured resistance of the sending unit. Take out the sending unit and work by hand, it should make the gauge work, if it's wired correctly.

DGG
08-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Did some testing. Bad sender.