PDA

View Full Version : Stuck axle shaft end

MJL
09-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Well it had to happen to me sooner or later. After driving LR's for 30 years I have finally had an axle shaft snap on me. It's on my 1972 Series 3 LH rear axle shaft. It snapped right at the start of the spline so the end is firmly stuck in the gear.

I would rather not have to remove the differential to get the remaining piece out. I've read that it is possible to put a rod through from the other end and push it out - has anyone had success with that approach? What size rod is needed and how much persuasion is needed to move it? Is it safe to use a hammer?

If I do have to remove the differential what is the approx. weight of the unit? If the piece did not move using the rod approach how do I remove the broken piece once the differential is out?

Help!

Mike

cedryck
09-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Well it had to happen to me sooner or later. After driving LR's for 30 years I have finally had an axle shaft snap on me. It's on my 1972 Series 3 LH rear axle shaft. It snapped right at the start of the spline so the end is firmly stuck in the gear.

I would rather not have to remove the differential to get the remaining piece out. I've read that it is possible to put a rod through from the other end and push it out - has anyone had success with that approach? What size rod is needed and how much persuasion is needed to move it? Is it safe to use a hammer?

If I do have to remove the differential what is the approx. weight of the unit? If the piece did not move using the rod approach how do I remove the broken piece once the differential is out?

Help!

Mike

Diff. is heavy.