PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on Startup.

LandRoverRo
07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I get a ton of smoke coming out of my diesel on startup. I can't quite tell if it's blue or white. I'd say it's white with maybe a hint of blue. It's quite embarassing but after it's warm, then I just get black smoke. It'd be nice to get no smoke at any time, but at least no smoke on startup would be great.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Tim Smith
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Dirty injectors? This may not be it but I tried diesel purge on a my 85' Merc motor with around a quarter million on the clock and was impressed to say the least. Do a google for diesel purge and you'll be sure to see the video's on the Diesel Giant's website as well.

Your smoke could also be due to injector timing maybe? What motor do you have and what's it's history?

LandRoverRo
07-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Dirty injectors? This may not be it but I tried diesel purge on a my 85' Merc motor with around a quarter million on the clock and was impressed to say the least. Do a google for diesel purge and you'll be sure to see the video's on the Diesel Giant's website as well.

Your smoke could also be due to injector timing maybe? What motor do you have and what's it's history?The injectors are quite new (not certain how many miles on them). I just imported the car from the UK so the difference in fuel might have something to do with it. I've run one tank of Bio (B99) and switched back to #2 just to see the difference. it's running quite well now and I've just stuck another tank of B99 in. I'll see how it runs on this tank and then put some cleaner through it.
The motor is a 2.5l na from a Sherpa/Freight Rover. Don't know why they went for that motor as opposed to the LR motor...
I've tried adjusting the timing via the injector pump, but I don't have the appropriate key to get the timing where it's supposed to be. I hope to not have to pull the front cover, but if I have to...
Thanks for your input. Any other suggestions?

SalemRover
08-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Does the engine seem to run a bit rougher when its belching smoke? It could be a malfunctioning glowplug, causing a cylinder to not fire until it warms up. This is exactly what my sherpa engine did on 3 cylinders before I changed out the glowplugs. The plugs themselves are a bit hard to find and I have several used ones lying around if you need a few for testing.

I do get some smoke on startup but havent finished tuning the engine due to a faulty water pump. The smoke I had when on 3 cylinders was very opaque and really hung in the air. Smoke on startup on all 4 is white and translucent and dissipates rather quick now.

-Jason