• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grsabourin
    Low Range
    • Dec 2013

Engine painting

Hi

I'm currently restoring a Serie IIA 1964. I'm at the engine step and now I have the engine in parts. I would like to do paint job on the engine and I need some advice from people having experience.

1 - What is the best : painting pieces separately (Block, head, timing chain cover ) when they are separated or waiting to put all together and paint in single step

2 - The engine is currently really dirty with oil and sand. It is clear that it need a real good cleaning before painting. Do I need to do sandblast or just good cleaning with solvent maybe good

3 - This engine was originally green. Is someone has original color code for this paint?

4 - Is someone has advice on paint to use or not to use.

Thank you
  • erik88lr
    1st Gear
    • May 2016

Here's a recent thread on engine paint: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...ies-Land-Rover

I took my block to a machine shop to have work done on the bores and cam bearings installed. They soaked the block in a vat so it was ready for painting when I got it back. Ditto for the head. The other parts I just cleaned myself with kerosene, brake parts cleaner, steam cleaner, etc. depending on what I was working on. I painted most everything separately before reassembly.

Comment

• cedryck
      5th Gear
      • Sep 2010

NAPA de-grease can cleaner works great, spay on, scrub in needed rinse off. 2c

Comment

Working...