PDA

View Full Version : Steering Work... Need advice!

jonnyrover
07-27-2007, 07:45 AM
:eek: I started the process of taking my steering system apart to replace the tie-rod ends which are all four worn out and to possibly replace my steering damper.

I have a few questions that someone may be able to help me with. I have already searched our hosts site for the parts but wonder whether or not to replace the damper firstly, and whether or not it is recommended to take my 96 disco in for a realignment after i change out the tie rod ends. and if i should replace the damper where can i find wrenches narrow enough to remove the nuts.

Also, having not looked yet... does anyone know which thread direction i need to purchase for a USA 96 discovery I?

Thanks for the help!!!

cbwhitley
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I replaced my tie rod ends when I replaced my leaking steering box. One end is clockwise and the othe is counter-clockwise. Count the number of turns as you remove them. I did this and the steering wheel was a cocked a little to the left. removed the front steering rod and turned a tie rod to fine tune the wheel. I still did not feel comfortable that it was straight..so I broke down and got it aligned. Any alignment shop can handle it.
I changed my shocks last year and did not change the steering damper. Wish i did. I feel a little kickback when I hit a lot of bumps.

jonnyrover
08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
well, i ordered the parts accept i ordered one wrong part... i think i am going to have to take it to the shop for a realignment but, that is par for the course. gotta pay for it but the heck if i know how to fine tune something like that!! i marked the old ball joint threads but now am anxious to see if i can get the new parts to the right positions again. wish me luck!!!