PDA

View Full Version : door lock cylinders

printjunky
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
How do I get those old lock cylinders out of my door latches. My latest acquisition, a 73 SIII 88" came without a key, so I need to get new cylinders. The door latches are out of the vehicle.

What about the ignition switch? is that the same? I haven't looked at that one yet.

I tried the hole/ball bearing release thing ... there's a hole, but no ball bearing!
I checked Haynes and the manual. Nothing in the copies I have (someone on one of the boards claimed haynes covered it).

Thanks for any ideas?

Leslie
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
The problem is, you have to have a key to turn the lock cylinder to correct orientation to align the detent with the hole, so that you can insert a pin to release the catch.

You either have to pick the lock so that you can turn it to get the detent to work, or, destroy the cylinder by drilling or prying it apart to get it out.

If you don't want to destroy it and can't pick it yourself, you can remove the latch assembly and walk into a competent lock shop with it in hand, they should be able to remove it w/ minimal charge.

Good luck,

printjunky
07-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Ahh, I suspected as much. Drilling it is.
Thanks much!
Shawn

Terrys
07-28-2007, 05:51 AM
If the ignition switch is in the OFF position, it is in the correct orientation to press in the detent, and pull out the tumbler.

scott
07-28-2007, 12:51 PM
mine fell out while making rt hand turn. now locking or unlocking my door is no longer a problem