PDA

View Full Version : Bolt size for brake drum removal.

sherman72
01-29-2019, 04:54 PM
First post on this forum!

I am am trying to remove the drums on my 88” 73 Series III and the drums are rusted on. I’ve loosened the brake tensioner but they aren’t pulling off. I see there is a non-recessed thread hole to screw in a bolt to help pry the drum off. Problem is, I can’t find any reference to the size of that bolt in any of my manuals or online. I’ve tried M8x1.25 but it’s too small. Any help would be appreciated so I don’t have to keep buying bolts to find the right size. And yes I removed the retaining screws and the hub rotates freely.

Thanks!
-Brandon

JSBriggs
01-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Pretty sure its 3/8 x 16 NC

-Jeff

sherman72
01-29-2019, 08:14 PM

-Jeff

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

sherman72
01-30-2019, 05:45 PM

-Jeff

3/8 was correct! Thanks for your help.

-Brandon

cedryck
01-31-2019, 02:52 PM
3/8 was correct! Thanks for your help.

-Brandon
Lots of Sili Croil, or a comparable "loosening" agent helps, as does heat.

blueseriesii
02-02-2019, 01:10 PM
The machine screws that hold the drum onto the hub are designed to fit into those threaded holes. Screw those in firmly and use some judicious hammer work on the drum between the studs, over time will do the trick. Once you get the drum to move a little bit back off the screws some, hammer it back on again to help break away the rust, make sure the drum will still rotate a bit, if not the shoes may be hung up on the lip that forms as the inside of the drum wears. If so make doubly sure the cams are backed off all the way and this time hammer around the outer edge of the rim in the off direction. If the shoes get hung up they can pull away from the backing plate a little and it make them very hard to remove just tap them on and off on and off.

TeriAnn
03-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Use one of the flat head screws that holds the drum on. Same size, dual use. The only purpose those flat head screws serve is to keep the drum in place when you remove a wheel so the do not need to be tight & use anti seize on the threads.