PDA

View Full Version : Window shields

PaulBarrow
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Has anyone ever fitted those window shields to stop the rain coming in when you have the window open a touch? If so, what did you use and where can you get them?

Paul

TSR53
07-28-2007, 09:23 AM
I have these on my 1991 Volkswagen Westfalia campmobile. They are awesome!

Although not listed in our catalog, I'm pretty sure we can get these (non-genuine) for your Range Rover Classic, just give us a call.

PaulBarrow
07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
:thumb-up: Thanks - I mentioned it (to Steve Haskell, or Les?) last time I called and he said you couldnt help! I will try to call on Monday.

Cheers

Paul

PaulBarrow
02-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I have these on my 1991 Volkswagen Westfalia campmobile. They are awesome!

Although not listed in our catalog, I'm pretty sure we can get these (non-genuine) for your Range Rover Classic, just give us a call.

Sorry about not replying earlier - i thought subscription notifications were automatic and did manually check back. Are you still willing/able to help and if so, what price are they please as i am still interested.

1971Series88
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
I got these for my 95RRC and the windows never worked (went all the way up) again, so I ditched them. With the windows up all the way the thickness of the plastic prevented the window sealing in the door top channel...

May have just been mine though, but fair warning. :)

PaulBarrow
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I appreciate your experience 1971Series88. I spoke too with TSR53 at RoversNorth and he pointed me to www.autoanything.com and I have purchased a set of front and rear for $114.95 inc shipping and paid by credit card so if they are a pile of .... I can cancel the card. The part number is 2335078.

If they are good, then I will post back here and I will also be recommending to Rovers North to carry them.

PaulBarrow
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Well I ordered a set of these from autoanything.com and I am now here to post a progress report.

The parts arrived and since the front ones are more complicated to install than the rear I thought I would begin with a rear.

It is a bit of a struggle to get these in ... but they do go in ... eventually. However, the flanges on them that sit ontop of the window seal are too wide for the small recess in the RRC so the top of the window shield is not able to be pushed in at the top so you are left with a 1/4inch of the flange of the guard that shouls be tucked into the top of the window and that should be hidded showing.

The front ones should be inserted at the wing mirror end first and then the window slightly raised to trap this in place. The top rear most corner is the supposed to be inserted into the rear of the window frame. As with the rear one, all of this is with the guard on top of the seal. They recommend that the rear tab be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top corner of the window frame before you commence wiggling in the guard from the mirror up the A pillar side of the frame to the top.

However ... and with all those "should"s included above you knew this was coming didnt you?

However, as with the rears the front flanges too are too big so the result is massive tension on the bowed part of the shield. On the driver side the top rear corner broke, and on the passenger side the whole shield snapped in two at the top of the front corner.

So they are basically JUNK.

They have a customer service line on their website 1-800 441 6287 which according to their website (which is one of these "wonderful" .asp garbage fancy sites that takes forever to load) is open Saturday and Sunday so I called it and eventually their auto attendant will give you the option to be transferred to the right line for instal questions ... and then you get the busy tone for about 2 seconds before being disconnected!

So ... at this point, as I wait for Monday to roll around and try to speak to them on their main line and get a real person to bitch and moan at, the result is Me = ZERO, Weathertech = minus 10 (minus 6 for crap customer service and minus 4 for a garbage product that is too big for Range Rover Classics.

I do like to be positive though and I am prepared to offer them three solutions:
Solution 1) - they can send me another full set with smaller/shollower flanges and I will try again, or
Solution 2) - they can send their expert out with a standard set and if he can fit them perfectly without breaking them or having unsightly flanges showing, I will pay his airfare out and back, or
Solution 3) they can take the bad press here and elsewhere and refund me my money.

I think that is pretty fair.

I will be back to post more on this later ... but for now, do not rush and buy a set of these as I am not impressed with the company or this product.

Paul

1971Series88
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Told ya! :D:D

They are a PIA...but if you look on our hosts website they look really good on our RRCs. Oh well I admire your perserverence to get it done. Good luck on getting your mullah back.

PaulBarrow
04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Quick update on this one:

While Weathertech would not consider a warranty claim I spoke to the website owners I bought them through - MacNeil Automotive or something or other like that and they were very helpful and filed a claim and had Weathertech ship another front out.

While all that was going on though I had 3/4 of them fitted and jury-rigged the least damaged driver's one as I had to take the Range Rover on a road trip to Texas and back (2300 miles each way in 10 days - more later ...). Conclusion on the fitting is they are an EXTREMELY tight fit and should be fitted in a room where the ambient temperature is warm and the visors themselves are at room temp. Go slowly and if it isnt going in - STOP, rest and let everything get warmer before continuing! That said, once in they are fabulous! If you want to be brave, go ahead and fit them I have to say they are good and I am now a happy camper!

As to the road trip of 4600 miles round trip, I took my EFI diagnostics with me just in case but they were just additional dead-weight in the car! I was hauling a car on a car trailer down there and (dead heading back) and the RR never missed a beat and performed flawlessly averaging about 12mpg! I was very pleased with it and it was very comfortable indeed. A huge testimony to a truck that was built 23 years ago!! I have some great photos that I may send to Rovers North for use in the magazine!