PDA

View Full Version : Transmission ID

Statueman17
08-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Hello. Can anyone ID this transmission. I think it's out of a Series but it may be out of a Defender.

TimberPig
08-12-2019, 07:30 PM
That isn't a Series (LT76) gearbox.

Looks like an LT77, but I am no expert on the differences between an LT77 and an R380. Google and YouTube have some good info on how to tell the differences between these two gearboxes.

Statueman17
08-13-2019, 11:02 AM
That isn't a Series (LT76) gearbox.

Looks like an LT77, but I am no expert on the differences between an LT77 and an R380. Google and YouTube have some good info on how to tell the differences between these two gearboxes.

Thanks. I've looked at many LR transmissions and it doesn't seem to match anything. It doesn't have the waffle casting typical of many although the crude on it is like concrete so it's hard to tell. I can't find any numbers on the typical locations. It came with an engine I acquired and I thought it was out of a 6 cylinder Santana but can't be certain.
I'd like to sell it but can't seem to ID it.

TimberPig
08-13-2019, 05:17 PM
How about an LT95?

Your picture is a bit dark making comparing images a bit tough.

I'm throwing this out as well, never been up close and personal with an LT95 either.

Statueman17
08-13-2019, 05:55 PM
How about an LT95?

Your picture is a bit dark making comparing images a bit tough.

I'm throwing this out as well, never been up close and personal with an LT95 either.

Thanks for the input. It lacks the waffle casting typical of most LT95s I've seen. Also, the two projections on the trans near the main shifter lever seem to be lacking on any LT95s I've seen. I dunno.

TimberPig
08-13-2019, 10:00 PM
LT85?

There's pictures on Ashcroft's site with smooth no waffle castings LT85's, and other images I can find look like what you have, which fits with your thoughts it came from a Santana.

Statueman17
08-14-2019, 03:41 PM
LT85?

There's pictures on Ashcroft's site with smooth no waffle castings LT85's, and other images I can find look like what you have, which fits with your thoughts it came from a Santana.

I think you may be right. It looks like an LT85 without the waffle casting. The top definitely looks like an LT85. I do think it's a Santana gearbox from a 6 cylinder. Thanks again. I'll check the gear pattern too once I dig it out of the back of the building it's in.