PDA

View Full Version : Defender seals/attatch

cedryck
05-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Pandemic fever feeds the list of jobs on the Rover. Setting up to replace the seals around my two doors on a 2a. Folks say defender seals are better than rivet on ones. Do defender seals glue on? How are they attached? Thanks lads, cheers,

TedW
05-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Hi cedryk:

I installed these on my 1970 soft top. There is one piece that press fits on the trim - back, top and front. Some folks say that they needed to use adhesive, but I didn't. Also, some say that you need to grind off some of the lip where it attaches to the firewall, but I didn't need to - it just took a little extra effort to get it pushed into place.

Couldn't be easier. You will probably need to trim off a section of the seal where the door latch goes by - you'll understand when you see it.

As for the bottom piece, I just used an aftermarket piece of seal that works great - original series seal is probably fine, too.

These fit much better than Series seals and seal better, too. I'll never go back to the old style.

Just my $0.02 - others may have had different results.

Ted

cedryck
05-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Thanks Ted for chiming in. Sounds cool, I did read that some say to trim the lip, and other do use adhesive. I am going to order some and install them, Cheers, say healthy. Cedryck.

adelafofca
05-06-2020, 10:59 PM
I used them on my Series 2 soft top. I cut the lip off the body where the seal sits as it prevented the Defender seal for going on. The seal I bought had metal clips inside the rubber that gripped the metal on the body. You can tighten them after with pliers and not damage the seal. They definitely are better than the original ones you have to rivet in place and are cheaper to buy.