PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 Mechanical Fuel Pump Cam Lever Problem

lorrystory
08-24-2020, 09:21 AM
hi all,
here is my predicament: the aftermarket fuel pump on my 65 109 was bad, so I replaced it with an RN pump with sediment bowl. i made sure to put the cam lever atop the cam, check for air leaks, etc., and here's the result: the hand lever pumps fuel effortlessly and will make the rover idle, but the fuel pump's cam lever doesn't do anything. i tried reinstalling it, no luck. got a replacement pump hoping that it was a manufacturer issue, no luck with the new one. i manually turned over the engine to make sure the cam moves, and it does. i know i can install an in-line electric pump, but i don't want to be stumped on what seems to be a straight-forward installation. any ideas?
cheers,

siiirhd88
08-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Compare your old pump to the replacement. Some fuel pumps use a plastic or phenolic insulator between the pump body and the engine block and require a longer cam lever. If you install a pump with the short lever, and the spacer is still in place on the block, the result is exactly what you are experiencing.

Bob
'02 D2 Kalahari
'97 RR Vitesse
'80 SIII 109 300TDI
'68 SIIA 109 3.9 V8

lorrystory
08-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Compare your old pump to the replacement. Some fuel pumps use a plastic or phenolic insulator between the pump body and the engine block and require a longer cam lever. If you install a pump with the short lever, and the spacer is still in place on the block, the result is exactly what you are experiencing.

Bob
'02 D2 Kalahari
'97 RR Vitesse
'80 SIII 109 300TDI
'68 SIIA 109 3.9 V8

Spot on. Thank you.