PDA

View Full Version : oil temp gauge

wrongway
10-14-2020, 07:29 PM
My vehicle has an oil temp gauge as one of the stock gauges in the speedo cluster. Is this standard or something different? I pulled the sending unit out and it's a pressure unit not temperature. I grounded the wire to the sender and turned the ignition on and the gauge didnt move so I guess the gauge or wiring is faulty and someone put the wrong sender in to try get it to work Anyone know if a temperature sender is available?

cedryck
10-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Oil Temp in the two gauge cluster? Can we see a picture of that?

wrongway
10-16-2020, 11:48 PM
So I was wrong in a few things. My oil temp gauge is mechanical with a sending unit in the line to my oil cooler. The line on the back of the gauge is broken so thats why its not working. The sending unit in the filter housing is indeed a pressure unit and operates the idiot light no gauge.

TimberPig
10-17-2020, 10:46 AM
So I was wrong in a few things. My oil temp gauge is mechanical with a sending unit in the line to my oil cooler. The line on the back of the gauge is broken so thats why its not working. The sending unit in the filter housing is indeed a pressure unit and operates the idiot light no gauge.

That is an ex-MOD dash, with the oil temp gauge where the charge light is on civilian trucks and the charge light moved to the middle of the dash. Your truck is either ex military or has had dash parts put in from an ex military Rover.

wrongway
10-17-2020, 10:56 AM
The person I bought it from said it was ex Dutch military.

roverp480
10-19-2020, 07:27 AM
This is a British Half ton layout with the switches and gauges similar to yours .Remember this is RHD and extra switches etc swapped over for LHD. I am not sure yours is a Dutch one as their switches etc are normally labelled in that language not English.

If you contact The British Motor Museum at Gaydon with your Chassis number they can for £6.00 email the destination of your vehicle from the factory , Alternatively you can get a build certificate , which cost more . https://certificates.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/web-research/

wrongway
10-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately my chassis numbers last 2 or 3 digits at the right front frame are unreadable.

roverp480
10-20-2020, 04:29 AM
Does any of your paperwork include the whole number or does it only show an "abridged" version?

cedryck
10-20-2020, 06:55 AM
The Military cooling array in front is signature to an Ex-MOD.

wrongway
10-20-2020, 10:18 PM
So a person could have added an oil cooler to a non MOD I guess. But unlikely. I ordered a spin on oil filter adapter kit from a vendor only to find it wouldnt fit because of an extra 2 inches on the oil filter housing where the oil cooler line hooks up. I see another kit in the UK has the filter pointing straight down not towards the frame but the cost is to much.

wrongway
10-20-2020, 10:23 PM
No paper work shows the chassis number just the vin inside the vehicle.

cedryck
10-21-2020, 02:40 PM
So I have had good luck with reviving old stamped numbers on old tools. Take some white chalk and rub it into the numbers real hard. Then wipe off the residue with your fingers, it sometimes leaves an impression of the previous, hard to see, numbers. Also having an oil cooler is not a bad thing, military cars had them due to the number of hours the engine was running. Low miles, high hours on the engine. But your description of the gauge and sender is funny, someone did some hack there.

wrongway
10-21-2020, 06:31 PM
I tried the chalk and the best I can come up with is 2543633 and possibly a 0 or 8 as the unreadable digit.
This link explains chassis numbers. Seems like only the first 3 digits actually mean anything.

https://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html

According to it my chassis is 1962 or later.

As for the oil cooler I probably didnt explain things to well as it looks completely stock. The broken line from the gauge ran around the drivers side fender well to the oil cooler line. I removed it and I installed a new oil temp gauge. Pic shows where its connected.