PDA

View Full Version : engine block heater for petrol engines?

NickDawson
10-23-2020, 03:00 PM
Hey friends,
We've recently moved to Montana where it's already quite cold. We've got snow on the ground and it's a lovely playground for a series rover!
As it gets colder I'm finding it harder and harder to start my truck. In fact, I killed my battery today trying (it doesn't help that my starter is on its last legs). It made me wonder about block heaters. I know they are quite common in Diesel engines. What about for a petrol? Is it as simple as a generic on off Amazon, or should I use the diesel heater from RN? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

wrongway
10-23-2020, 05:51 PM
You have a plan on where the block heater will be installed?

NickDawson
10-23-2020, 07:47 PM
I think that’s part of my curiosity. A friend who specializes in restoring old Toyota FJs suggested one of the stuck on pads that warms the oil pan.

wrongway
10-23-2020, 11:07 PM
That would probably be the easiest solution. I read they work very well.

mearstrae
10-24-2020, 04:28 PM
I used one from my RHD Jeep, it fit into the lower radiator hose. Don't know who it was made by.

TedW
10-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Hi Nick:

When it gets really cold your gearbox will not want to shift very easily, so something else to consider for your new, cold environment is a switch to synthetic gear oil for your gearbox, t-case, diffs and swivels. Conventional gear oils take on the consistency of rubber cement under extreme cold, while synthetics stay fluid. Pretty amazing to see: I left a bottle of each type outside overnight once when temps dropped to -30F. The synthetic flowed normally while the conventional turned into goo. And shifting even when cold is quite smooth 'n easy.

Just my $0.02....

Ted

NickDawson
10-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Hi Nick:

When it gets really cold your gearbox will not want to shift very easily, so something else to consider for your new, cold environment is a switch to synthetic gear oil for your gearbox, t-case, diffs and swivels. Conventional gear oils take on the consistency of rubber cement under extreme cold, while synthetics stay fluid. Pretty amazing to see: I left a bottle of each type outside overnight once when temps dropped to -30F. The synthetic flowed normally while the conventional turned into goo. And shifting even when cold is quite smooth 'n easy.

Just my $0.02....

Ted

That's super helpful - I need to look at what's in there now. I have this strange feeling I put synthetic in last time I did it, but I but the most recent trip to the shop saw that get replaced with regular oil.

I noticed the other day when it was -10 the engine wouldn't even turn over. The starter just clicked a very sad single time. Today, in the 30s, it turned right over. I know that's engine oil and not gear oil, it just make me appreciate how much temps play into the movement of parts.

roverp480
10-29-2020, 11:39 AM
As a bit of history, Rover used to supply a 110V block heater for Series 2A models 2.25 petrol & Diesel , part number 511303 , made by Bray Heaters in UK. No longer exist I believe . If you have a screwed aluminum plug with two internal ears just above the starter motor , that's where it fitted. Its a 1 inch BSPT thread .

Skeeball
03-08-2021, 07:23 AM
What you want is Kat's Heaters frost plug # 11407 fits into the I" NPT plug on the rear right side of the engine..You will need to spray it up wd-40 or similar for a few days and use a Long breaker bar to remove it

** The plug is actually on the driver's side of the engine (Left) or looking at it from the front it would be on the right