PDA

View Full Version : Are cylinder head bolts reusable?

threesticks
02-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Like the title says, are the cylinder head bolts on my SII 2.25 petrol engine reusable?

I am in the process or reassembling my engine and getting ready to install the head and can't find much info on whether to use new or reuse the bolts that I already have.

Thanks for the help.

mearstrae
02-15-2021, 12:19 PM
Yes, in the old days there weren't such thing as TTY (torque to yield) non-reusable bolts. So, unless a bolt is damaged in some way, go ahead and use it.

threesticks
02-15-2021, 02:02 PM
Were there washers under the bolt heads as well? I don't see any called out in the factory parts catalog.

mearstrae
02-16-2021, 07:40 AM
In the old days, washers weren't used on head bolts. Just make sure the bolts are clean as well as the bolt holes in the block, use a slight amount of engine oil on the threads (if too much oil is used a hydraulic lock can occur and crack things).

cedryck
02-18-2021, 06:11 AM
In the old days, washers weren't used on head bolts. Just make sure the bolts are clean as well as the bolt holes in the block, use a slight amount of engine oil on the threads (if too much oil is used a hydraulic lock can occur and crack things).
check green bible for sequence to tighten.

babe6488
02-23-2021, 07:25 PM
If they are the bolts that came off the engine and the engine didn’t blow up or some such that warranted the rebuild, then the bolts are fine.
IMHO.