PDA

View Full Version : Hard Top Color Question

thixon
08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I've noticed that in alot of photos I see, the hardtop on many series trucks appears to be white. My trucks top is the limestone color. Which is correct?

Thanks for the input!

LaneRover
08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
The hardtops that look white are probably Limestone in color too.

Because the lighter colors tend to 'blow out' when taking a picture the tops appear to be white. Many times in the film industry if something is supposed to be white we make it off-white or a light beige. That way it is easier to light the set as there isn't such a big difference between the lights and the darks. I think that the same thing is happening with many of these pics.

Brent

sayers
08-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a 74 88 and the truck is limestone and the top is also limestone, so you are on the right track. I have seem some with white tops and have wondered it the limestone and white was sometype of option. post a photo of your vehicle, we would all like to see it.

Momo
08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Thixon, is your Rover a station wagon or a basic hard top? What color is the body?

Series II/Early IIA to about 64:
In general, station wagon tops were body color with limestone sun sheets (or white on Limestone trucks) and basic models had limestone tops.

sometime in build year 64 to 66:

The tops were no longer body color.

Late IIA/III:
Tops were limestone or white.

This applies to North America only.

If you have an early IIA wagon and the sides are not body color, the top has been swapped from another truck or repainted or was special order color.

LaneRover
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
You know, now that I think about it, a parts truck or two that I have do have white tops and not limestone. SO maybe I was talking out of my sphincter with the bit about limestone tops looking white in photos.