PDA

View Full Version : Changing spark plug wires

bkarow
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have experience in changing the spark plug wires in a 2001 Discovery II? It looks like a mess. I have all of the needed parts, except for what I'm likely to break in the disassembly. It looks like the entire intake manifold must be removed. Am I right? What is the disassembly sequence?

BK

tlruffrider
08-03-2007, 02:21 AM
someone please help us, i have the same problem with a 2003!!

Les Parker
08-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello there,

Can you supply us with a fax # ?
We can fax over info from the shop manual for the suggested sequence, though I have been told that you can "snake" the wires through without the need to remove the plenum top.

tempestv8
08-07-2007, 06:56 AM
I have been told that you do not need to remove the intake plenum chamber but it looks so tight at the back, I can't see how this could be possible....

Sorry I can't offer any additional help. I will need to do mine at some stage but am baulking at the idea of doing it myself....

tlruffrider
09-18-2007, 04:21 AM
:nono: finally got back to the forum....i had to take the rover on myself..and it won. i took the plenum off and changed the wires and ran into allsorts of problems..about 350.00 later at the dealership to hear them only say "we are the only ones qualified to work on theses vehicles......":confused:

kh500
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi, all.
I joined this forum today now and I am so delighted to share the same problem (or situation). I am facing with the replacing the spark plug wires in very tight space on my 2000 Disco II.

Les Parker,
As you mentioned, if you are able to fax the instruction page to
(603) 806 1092, I will be very appreciated. ( I will convert fax pages to GIF images and post on this forum so, all can share.)

Thanks!

Don
09-20-2007, 01:38 AM
I have a 2000 Discovery and went through the same ordeal. You dont have to take off the intake. Get a diagram of the fireing order to the wires are on the block on the rear of the engine. take them all off,then 1 by 1 snake them through. Good Luck

Robison Service
10-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Although you can snake the wires through, the job is often sloppy. It's best to pull the plenum. Plan on 3 hours to swap wires.

kh500
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks Les Parker!
Thank you so much for wiring diagram.
I posted PDF link here to share with others. ( Please let me know if it causes any problem. I will remove.)

http://static.scribd.com/docs/dw3ntg5bs2zfg.pdf

Hi, all.
I joined this forum today now and I am so delighted to share the same problem (or situation). I am facing with the replacing the spark plug wires in very tight space on my 2000 Disco II.

Les Parker,
As you mentioned, if you are able to fax the instruction page to
(603) 806 1092, I will be very appreciated. ( I will convert fax pages to GIF images and post on this forum so, all can share.)

Thanks!

LR Harrisburg
10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
It is not neccisary to remove the plenum to replace any of the plug wires on any series II discoveries. Yes they can be a pain in the ass but it is possible. It normally takes about 5 to 10 to replace a single wire depending on which one. The easiest way is to remove the wire from the plug side first. This way you can wiggle it and find its mate behind the plenum. Then after you locate it take a long, thin flat bladed screwdriver and slide it down behind the plenum and pop off the wire. Run the new one in place and fight for a few min. to get it centered and fully seated on the coil. Then finish with the plug side. Major note! If you you need to replace multiple wires at one time. Be very careful to get them back on the correct coil towers you WILL have to remove plenum to figure out the proper location without ripping your hair out. Good luck all and send any questions!