PDA

View Full Version : Center Seat, or Cubby Box - What do you think?

vlad_d
05-06-2021, 02:00 PM
Hi folks,

My seats on my s3 109 are a little beat up. I'm looking at getting new seats. Exmoor deluxe are the current candidates.

I've also been looking at the various Cubby box(es) available. I don't currently have anything between the two front seats.

The question I have for any long-time Series owners is - which do you find more useful: having a center seat, or the Cubby box?

Since there's nothing locking in my Rover, I like the idea of having a center console to put stuff in that I don't want visible. Also, the drink holder is key (stick shift!!).

But, as I work on and drive my Rover, I find myself reaching across to the passenger side door a lot. And, having a center seat would make that more accessible and comfortable.

No one's sitting in that center seat, btw...maybe a dog. I gather anyone trying will get elbowed in the groin while I shift gears. So, it's more for turning the front into bench seating...some wiggle room and option to lay on it while reaching over, etc. Also, option to egress vehicle in an accident from other side, or switch driver-passenger in a hurry. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it. Both options not cheap. So, I want to get it right.

What do you guys think? In practice, which is overall more useful.

Sherony
05-07-2021, 12:11 AM
Ive had the tuffy console in mine for a long time. I love it. Large secure storage, comfy arm rest, and a radio. Worth every penny.

erik88lr
05-07-2021, 08:05 AM
I made my own console out of wood 20+ years ago. It has a hinged padded top, holds the radio, and has two cup holders I rarely use. Can see some of it in the picture below.

It's a handy place to rest my right elbow, doesn't get in the way of shifting at all.

cedryck
05-07-2021, 01:09 PM
Nice, I did something like that when I had my D90,. I have looked many times at the Exmoor boxes, but when I first took hold of my Ex-mod it had three across in the front, so I'm keeping that, cheers.

jimrr
05-10-2021, 09:29 AM
since you're asking: I prefer having the seat there, but then I have a lot of msc. stuff! with a 109 it may not be a issue, I also like the clean look of 3 seats there. My Tahoe has the console and reaching the other side of the car is enough to make one pull over and park!!

vlad_d
05-12-2021, 01:33 AM
Nice, I did something like that when I had my D90,. I have looked many times at the Exmoor boxes, but when I first took hold of my Ex-mod it had three across in the front, so I'm keeping that, cheers.

I guess ex-military vehicles rarely value interior trim like a center console:
"Hang on enemies, let me put my latte down!" ;)

roverp480
05-12-2021, 06:23 AM
I fitted the centre under seat tool box on My EX MOD 2A that had twin fuel tanks .

vlad_d
05-17-2021, 04:08 AM
I fitted the centre under seat tool box on My EX MOD 2A that had twin fuel tanks .

I like this idea - BOTH storage and a thrid seat!!!

Does it get in the way of accessing the gearbox for service?

roverp480
05-18-2021, 12:33 PM
I left it loose so it lifted out. It has a flange which rests on the seat box to support it. To be honest I cannot remember if it had any fixings

vlad_d
06-02-2021, 02:55 AM
Has anyone ordered the Exmoor deluxe set of three seats our host sells?

I'm wondering if they come with seat frames and everything, or are they just the foam and seat covers?

I don't actually have a center seat, so I would need the whole she-bang: mountings, seat frame, foam, any panels, and the seat cover.

Also, anyone know of any nicer options that aren't $2500 a seat? The Exmoor stuff has been kind of disappointing so far. I got the rubber floor mats kit, and the loadspace rubber mat. All thick good rubber, but each piece didn't fit. Floor mats are bunched up because they are 1/2" too long. And I had to cut the loadspace mat down 3-4 inches all the way down. I couldn't cut the floor mats because they have a nice outter rim that keeps drips contained.. If the seats are going to be like that, forget it!

mearstrae
06-02-2021, 05:05 PM
I've always wondered why folks buy expensive seats for their rig. Why not find a good upholstery shop and have the seats redone with better foam and a good waterproof covering ? I found a really nice heavy duty new (no knockouts removed) stainless steel electric box at a salvage store for cheap. It has two latches and a place for a padlock, and is flange mounted. Maybe something like this if you're looking for a console, just add padding to the top and a cup holder, job done. In my case I had to move the overdrive lever forward, out of the way beside the transfer box lever. I have an Lt95 trans so the overdrive is a bit different (reads: huge).

jimrr
06-03-2021, 10:04 AM
I left it loose so it lifted out. It has a flange which rests on the seat box to support it. To be honest I cannot remember if it had any fixings

i think it fits in there like the cover on the LH side does.

cedryck
06-07-2021, 06:39 AM
With the lack of security that Series truck brings, I think is is a good idea to have a locking box, for phone, money other valuable, Frankly though after experience "curious" onlookers , especially when the door tops are off in the summer, I prefer a large 70lb. Pit bull in the front seat for security reasons. Plus, I never venture far from the truck wherever I go.
Cheers lads, all the fathers enjoy your upcoming day!!

vlad_d
06-09-2021, 03:30 AM
@maerstrae: I thought about going to an upholstery shop, and I still may(mostly for color options or maybe leather, which is hard to get in kits). But, I'm inclined against it for three reasons:

1) The foam inside. Not sure if the upholstery shop will replace the foam with new foam or just pad out the deflated bits and ripped bits. That would mean 90% of the foam would be old. So, I'd be paying like $1500 for 40 years of farts and mold(you're welcome for that visual...try to get it out of your head).

2) I'm in SF Bay Area California. So labor rates are crazy high. Upholsterers are going to charge me $150 per hour for a job like that. Sad, but true. It's cheaper for me to get new parts online than pay a local guy to wrap $60 worth of vinyl around my seats.

3) I may need the frame for the middle seat. Also, My seat frames are rusted and old. Probably salvagable, but I don't think Carlos at the local upholstery shop will sandblast, weld and paint my frames. He'll probably shove them back into the foam, assuming I'll never see them so why bother. But I'll know...it will be new leather seats with 40 year old farts and rusty frames inside...and cost a small fortune.

As far as the cubby/console: I mostly just want simple access and a cover. I don't need a safe in between the seats. If someone really wants to get in there, they will...especially with aluminum doors and body panels and flimsy sliding windows. I'm under no illusions that it's secure. I just need somewhere to put napkins, band aids, pens and that kind of thing, out of view and easily accessible while driving.

bob7088
06-23-2021, 11:21 PM
Just took out my cubby box. I’ve ordered the new Exmoor Trim door cards with a the pockets from our hosts for storage, plus I’m installing the drop in storage box Rovers North offers to go under the middle seat.

charles1943
06-29-2021, 06:52 PM
For my money a cubby box makes for a very tight cabin and it makes for possibly dangerous steering in the offroad when quick response is critical to the vehicle's safety! I wouldn't use one if given to me.

vlad_d
06-29-2021, 08:47 PM
You folks make some good points.

What about a "Short cubby"? Does anyone make those? I'm talking about a cubby only about as tall as the seat cushion, or maybe just 3 inches proud of the seat cushions? I figure that would give you about a half a cubic foot of storage, two short cup holders and not.get in the way of sliding your butt over to the other seat?

Is anyone making such a thing for sale? If not, I might try to make one. The next question is :
What to make it from?

I have a wire feed mig welder, rivet gun, and all the woodworking tools needed for furniture projects. So it's either steel(welded), aluminum(riveted) or wood(jointed)..

jimrr
06-30-2021, 09:50 AM
ok, i'm sold on the center seat cubby. i've always wanted one but when cedreyk mentioned locking it I'm reminded i lost the cover for mine about 1975 and made one from a locker in the army barracks! so i need to see if that cover is available from our hosts as like charles I'm not too keen on that center console for the same reasons. Incidentally, the lock tab for one of mine got broken off. those are made of cast material and pretty hard to duplicate.... i'd be surprised if they are available but i'll look.

vlad_d
11-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Old post, but I'm finally at a place where I can start looking at interior options. I think I like the 3 seats with the toolbox underneath. I may try to rig up something off the rear bulkhead for drink holders.

Now I'm looking at seat kits. Seems the going rate is about $400 for 3 NEW seats with frame and hardware. Okay. So like $133 per seat.

I was on Ebay last week and some guy is selling his original, ripped vinyl seat cushions for $150...just the bottom cushion.

Am I missing something? Do these "original" seats have value? Sounds like I could sell my old, ripped seats for $600?! And get new ones for $400? That doesn't add up for me?

Is there some interest in the community for "original" seats...even if they are rough?

I don't want to throw out a sought-after part. But it's just foam and ripped vinyl, right? Nothing that says "only ever made right in Solihull"?

I have been seeing things like original carburators being sought after because the reproduction ones are crap. That I understand how the original, rough one can cost more than NEW. But seats?

What are your thoughts?

AP22
11-22-2021, 12:13 PM
mind sharing the seat kit you decided on?

vlad_d
11-24-2021, 02:41 AM
@AP22:

I haven't purchased them yet, but these are the ones I am thinking about:

https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/ex11645k_deluxe_front_seat_set_for_series_black_vi nyl&type=3

I don't like the the way reproduction/retcon head rests look on these...so this is the closest to the original I can get.

Does anyone know if Exmoor does these in Leather (exactly these, not some modern seat kit that looks like a tuner car wing back seat)?

AP22
11-24-2021, 09:32 AM
those are oddly affordable. sold. thank you!

vlad_d
01-24-2022, 12:27 AM
Older post, but I thought I'd circle back for some closure...

This last weekend, I finally put the new seats in. Per everyone's advice(thanks for all the ideas, folks!) I put in new "Deluxe" seats from ExMoor(via our hosts), including the center seat ...and I did the under-center-seat toolbox. Check out some pics:

I also got some MudUK door cards for the front, to smarten up the interior a bit. I'm really happy with how they turned out, even though I had to do a fair bit of trimming to make them work. I cut the wrap-around part on the outer part of the door cards. My doors have always been snug, and I just didn't have clearance for that(it rubbed). But the ABS plastic cuts easy with a dremel tool and I followed their advice and used a hand file to smooth out the cuts(so it looks like it was cast that way, no plastic burrs).

I shopped around for door cards. The generic exMOD ones look minimalistic, but no cargo net. The Rovers North ones were good looking...but I wasn't planning on installing speakers in the door, so those round cylinders look dumb. Also, please RN take the large logo off the cargo nets. I like you guys, but I don't want to be an advertisement. Just make a discreet little tag and tone it down. The MudUK ones were perfect and they even have a little oval logo stamping, but they let you install their logo...and that oval look suspiciously like a certain green oval logo that would look MUCH nicer there.Hmmm...now I'm looking for a Land Rover logo that's about 1" to glue/stick there.

I will say, the ExMoor seats are pretty good quality. The things I couldn't see in the pictures before I ordered them:

1) The 'black' vinyl is actually a charcoal grey. I don't mind so much, but the original seats were black...like Mars Black. So, there is a slight color variation between the dash vinyl and the seat vinyl. So, be warned.

2) It's hard to tell, but I feel like my original seats had bolsters more proud of the center flutes. Basically, I think the ExMoor ones are more flat, and my original were more cupped, which kind of holds you in the seat. The ExMoor ones feel nice, new and fresh. But they might not be exact reproductions.

3) I have all the correct parts, including seat rails, seat frames, bolts and back stops. But the center seat doesn't move, so when you adjust the outer seats back, the center kind of sticks out. In all the photos, the three seats align much like a bench seat effect. Well, this is only possible if you push the outer seats forward to line up. I'm a taller guy (6'-2") so that doesn't work for me ...I barely fit with the seat all the way back. So, the position is kind of like you see in my pics...a bit staggered. It's fine, and I can still slide over to unlock the passenger door. But it messes with my OCD trying to line things up straight.

4) For some weird reason, ONLY the Left Hand (LH) seat rail is available for the center seat. Like...everywhere! RN and John Craddock both only sell the LH. JC emailed me a week later to try to convince me to buy two LH ones and cut them up and re-fabricate a RH. Not sure that would even work?! Anyway, it seems this is one of those mysterious, sought-after parts. P.A.Blanchards saved the day with a genuine NOS set. But expect some trouble sourcing the RH center seat rail.

I'm still missing cup holders, but now I'm comitted to the center seat. So, my plan is to make a little shelf/magazine tray type thing to hang off the rear bulkhead, facing the load area, with two cup holders built on top. Hard to explain, but I'll post pics when I get around to building it.

jimrr
01-30-2022, 11:06 AM
Nice!!, that's what mine looked like when it was brand new in 1973-4 !!, I would go with the under seat box and 3 seats!