PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer cable install tip Series 2A

bob7088
06-23-2021, 11:16 PM
When replacing the speedometer cable in my 1970 Series 2A, I dutifully followed the Green Bibles instructions to remove the transmission tunnel (which makes you remove the floor first) to access the screws for the Speedo drive. Except-you can’t get to it after all that. All that’s needed is to remove the middle seat and take out the panel under it. I wanted to share what I learned. Also, our hosts offer a drop in storage compartment for that space that I’m going to install for storage out of sight.

charles1943
06-28-2021, 01:24 PM
In my shop we have asaying, "You have to be smarter than the Workshop Manual." In 50 years I have never, ever removed the floors to replace a speedo cable. We always do it from under the truck.

jimrr
06-29-2021, 09:24 AM
thx for the reminder on that storage box. I've been wanting one for a long time then is disappeared till now. I had wondered whether it would 'straddle' the E brake linkage or if it was just not very deep, I have not looked of late but I don't suppose a fairey overdrive interferes? ps; i never removed floor plates either but it was a tight fit ............ might want to power wash under there first too!