PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Chassis Manufacturers

brpaape
09-03-2021, 06:12 PM
I have decided to get rolling (pun intended) on my sympathetic restoration of my 1969 Land Rover Series 88. While the timing and shop accommodations are far from perfect, there's no time like the present, or whatever it is that "they" say.

As I begin to devise a plan of attack, I figure it is best to get the ideas (questions) flowing. So, the question of the day is...

Who makes the best galvanized chassis to replace the rusted out original chassis???

vlad_d
10-10-2021, 08:12 PM
It's been like a month and no replies?

I was watching this thread, because I'm curious, too!

;) Maybe we all don't know the best brands because all they say is "Proline"?

Seriously, though. It would be great to hear some real-life stories of things like bolt-holes not matching up, etc. If you're about ready to plunk down $4000...a guy wants to know things will fit. So far, with my Rover, I'm about 30% in the "doesn't fit" category for nearly everything I've bought. I'd hate to do that with a Galvanized frame, too. Literally take apart 100% of the Rover and find things won't bolt up to the frame I spent months waiting for?! That'd be a nightmare...

At least tell us which brands to AVOID, if you folks don't have a favorite, yet.

Les Parker
10-15-2021, 06:32 PM
Hello there,

RN currently uses Richard's Chassis, which we have found to be the best for fit, plus the quality of
finish (prepped ready for end user).

Apologies in the delay of reply.

Best.

Les.

vlad_d
11-12-2021, 12:13 PM
@LesParker Thanks for the reply! We really appreciate some expertise.

I've been hunting around and saw a company in the UK called "Shielder Chassis" that seem to offer an economical Chassis & Buklhead. Sometimes $1200 less than the going rate here. I expect a reasonable markup for getting it across the pond, and usually I'm okay with good vendors making a living wage. But that price difference sure would leave some room for other (inevitable) odds and ends you'd find in a frame-off restoration. Have you guys imported Shielder Chassis bulkheads and Chassis before? Can you speak to the build quality?

Also, for things like bulkheads...which are usually painted. Some vendors offer Galvanized finish. I'm sure that's great for rust, but what does it do for the surface quality for paint? Do you have to bondo the surface just to level it off? Is the galvanizing rough and flakey? Every Galvanized finish I've seen has little zinc turds here and there. What do people do with those for painting?