PDA

View Full Version : 2A Transfer Case Backlash Adjustment

ep7360
09-22-2021, 04:36 PM
I'm finding out that I have what I would consider excessive gear backlash on my '69's transfer case output shaft. The question I have is how to adjust the backlash? Is this done by adjusting the shims under the speedometer gear housing? I have approx. 6 -10 degrees of backlash currently on the output shaft.

roverp480
09-23-2021, 07:26 AM
The shims under the speedometer housing adjust the end float on the output shaft which should have preload so be Zero according to my Manual. If loose it would increase backlash. Both the high speed and idler gears have some end float and each if excessive will show up as more backlash as they can shunt back & forth slightly as they are helical gears . Obviously if the teeth on the gears are worn, or indeed the coupling sleeve splines and teeth , and thus have excess clearance it will increase backlash . I would check that each of these areas has the correct end float and perhaps set to minimum tolerance if possible . To my mind backlash of 6 to 10 degrees doesn't sound excessive to me given all the clearances present between the input and output shafts but I am not aware of any published figures.

ep7360
09-23-2021, 05:25 PM
Thanks! I installed the transmission today with the "X-Brake" modification. The rig hasn't run for 10 years and I'm itching to get it back on the road! Hope to get it running by this weekend....