PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable keeps breaking

bob7088
02-10-2022, 09:22 PM
I know I’m going to feel really stupid when I get the answer, but after 3 broken Speedo cables in my 70 Series 2a 88, Im ready to ask. Here’s the drill-
Third Speedo cable just broke at the transmission end. All broke within 2 miles or less after installation.The speedometer is in working order, sent it to Ike at Pangolin just to be sure. I’ve installed at as carefully and kink free as I know how to do after lubing it. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

roverp480
02-11-2022, 07:04 AM
I know I’m going to feel really stupid when I get the answer, but after 3 broken Speedo cables in my 70 Series 2a 88, Im ready to ask. Here’s the drill-
Third Speedo cable just broke at the transmission end. All broke within 2 miles or less after installation.The speedometer is in working order, sent it to Ike at Pangolin just to be sure. I’ve installed at as carefully and kink free as I know how to do after lubing it. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?
Check that there is not a piece of broken cable stuck in the drive square , gearbox end . I had this and the cable broke and. damaged the speedometer. The inner cable should slide in and the outer abut the housing with no need to compress to fit
Have you strictly followed the routing as per LR Manual ?

cedryck
02-11-2022, 02:00 PM
Since we are on Speed om Meters and cables. I occasionally get what seems to be a dis-engagement of my speedometer cable at the gauge resulting in a big annoying noise from the speedo,, I', not sure what is happening, any suggestions anyone? Is my cable retracting and not engaged? Is the Cable buggered, and in need of replacing?,,,,

charles1943
02-11-2022, 04:51 PM
I'd put my money on the speedo being faulty. Either that or the cables are improperly made. And the drawing shown is also incorrect: it's for a Series I. The later cables were meant to lead up over the top of the chassis, unlike the drawing.
13867[/QUOTE]

roverp480
02-11-2022, 04:57 PM
I'd put my money on the speedo being faulty. Either that or the cables are improperly made. And the drawing shown is also incorrect: it's for a Series I. The later cables were meant to lead up over the top of the chassis, unlike the drawing.
13867[/QUOTE]
The drawing is from a LR 2A Workshop manual 606408, although I admit its the 1st edition dated March 1969

bob7088
02-13-2022, 11:10 AM
Yes, that’s the same picture that’s in my green bible, too. When you say it goes over the chassis, do you mean between the chassis and the floor?

jimrr
02-14-2022, 06:13 PM
if you have one not broken, hook it up to xmission but NOT speedo. drive and see what it does, you can also reach into the guage and see if the receptacle in there turns free?

bob7088
02-14-2022, 08:02 PM
Have you tried withdrawing the inner cable and greasing it liberally? If not, that could be your noise.

jimrr
02-17-2022, 10:22 AM
good thing bob, fill that cable with grease!! ........... i don't recall if the end comes off to allow for this but i think it may.