PDA

View Full Version : Koenig winch PTO oil draining

slowpatina
02-22-2022, 07:06 PM
This regards a 1971 88" S2A with a Koenig PTO winch.

We want to drain the oil from the Koenig PTO drive that is attached to the transfer case, since the PTO shaft seal is leaking and it won't be fixed for a while.

Does anyone know if it is okay to drive the truck if all the oil is drained from the PTO drive? (photo of drive attached)

Thanks

jimrr
02-22-2022, 08:26 PM
the shift linkage is all in the top end of that unit (I own one) but it's been a while since i've seen inside it and mix it up with the overdrive units attached in the same place.
My concern is lube on the input shaft to the PTO and it should be lubricated via the lay shaft turning in the main xmission.
I believe you will be fine driving it but it it still leaks with the drain removed it will be because of oil following the input shaft into the unit which should not happen.

slowpatina
02-23-2022, 10:57 AM
...I believe you will be fine driving it but it it still leaks with the drain removed it will be because of oil following the input shaft into the unit which should not happen.

@jimrr, really helpful info, thank you. So a related question to your "should not happen" comment. Last week when the square oil fill plug was removed from the side of the PTO drive to check the fluid level, oil poured out (~1/2 cup-ish). Could it be the prior owner somehow filled the PTO drive above that fill plug level, or, is it more likely that your "should not happen" scenario is occurring? ie: oil leaking into PTO drive from the ??transfer case.