PDA

View Full Version : Steering Swivel Question

Poppy1969
03-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Hello Fellow members. I am doing the steering swivel load setup. I have 1969 2A 88". I have the better quality BritPart kit. I did purchase the Timkin bearing instead of using the cheaper one in the kit. I am using a fish scale to check the load which seems a common option. I did take a 15lbs weight and verify that the fish scale is in spec. For my setup the spec is 12-14lbs. I have my shims adjusted to where I get 13lbs when I pull the steering arm when pointing straight ahead. Pulling on the inner ball joint mount (for the passenger steering arm). When I turn the swivel ball full left (I am doing the passenger side) towards the leaf spring and I check the load it is 15lbs. When I turn the swivel ball full right and I check the load I need 16 lbs for it to move. The Haynes manual does not specify but I assume pointing the steering arm straight ahead is best to check the load. Does it make sense that the load is not linear? That is what I want to get an opinion on? My plan is to let it all sit over night. Take it back loose tomorrow and check that I still get 13lbs with the shimming I have.

Note on the shims in the kit. I started with all of them in the kit. There are 3 different ones. Two very flimsy thin ones and one thicker and another thicker one yet. I started with all these and I got way too much load (not enough shimming). Like 20lbs. Make sure to keep your old shims. I had to use one old one while I did this like 7 times until I got to 13lbs.

Also make sure you put your seal and retainer ring over the axle before you start doing any of this work :) : ) : ). I mean if you don't the seal wont even fit over the swivel ball. You will need to take everything back apart. Ok.... I am going to come clean. I actually had this happen. Lisa I'm learning.

The other question I had just for curiosity. I am checking this load with nothing else assembled. I have seen people do this check with the seal in place and the hub and driveshaft. Is it wrong to assume that it would take more force to move the swivel assembly when fully assembled? I have seen videos of people doing this and finding that "well my swivel is way too tight" and they start to tear things apart. Am I wrong to think that the load should have a secondary value when all assembled? Well my plan is when I have everything back together I was going to check the value I get. I will report on this since it might be useful.

Cheers, Tom

vlad_d
03-28-2022, 02:19 AM
Here's Britpart's official video on their Swivel Kit. Preload is about 9 minutes in. I don't know what that Muppet with the Rasta hat is doing, but you can see the quiet, hard-working tech doing it with a fancy scale...no half shaft or Stub axle/hub installed yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWkJlky4Iw

There's also this series by Britanica Restorations I found very informative on my recent rebuild:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHX1V2FnNk4

I can't imagine the hub and axles being THAT much more resistance? Maybe 1-2 pounds difference? If your Axle U-Joints are good, it should be smooth. The range is like 5 pounds, as you said. So probably falls into that range with it all assembled? Either way, I think you did it right. 3 yokles on the internet agree! :D

Poppy1969
03-28-2022, 06:00 PM
Hi Vlad. Thanks for those links. I do have a update. The next day I loosened and tightened the bolts and I still got 13lbs. After installing the wiper seal it went up to 18lbs. Makes sense I guess. With stub axle, hub and driveshaft installed it went to 24lbs. I will see how the driver side compares. I assume it should be the same.

FYI. The guy with the Rasta hat is Fuzz Townsend. He is on a show in England called Car SOS. Kind of a English overhauling. Well Fuzz really knows his stuff. You can see some of their shows if you search on YouTube for Car SOS or if you have Disney+ you can watch the series on Discovery Channel I think. Any how they have a episode on LR Series 1 and all sort of good ones on English cars in general.

Tom

vlad_d
03-29-2022, 12:52 AM
Hehe :D. I figured he was a celebrity car guy. Honestly, no disrespect, I was just having a laugh. We've all had a friend or coworker who's a little much, am I right? How does he work on cars with 7 rings and 4 bracelets on? I dunno. But then I'm not a rock star.

jimrr
04-04-2022, 10:25 PM
EVERYONE needs to realize if you're using hubs that are 'out' a lot of the time you are not getting lubrication to the top railco bush. That bush is lubricated by the spinning of the half shaft 'U' joint (ball joint) which does not spin when the hubs are "out" ........... unless of course you still have it in '4wd' ...... !!