PDA

View Full Version : Modern shoulder belts

wrongway
05-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Anyone install new belts? Got mine installed this weekend. My upper brackets were for a 2 door so had to be modified by cutting and welding so the back doors would close. Much easier to buckle up now than the old lap belts I had installed earlier.

vlad_d
05-25-2022, 02:26 AM
Well done!

That's one of the first things I did on my Series 3. I had a 1968 Firebird with lap belts when I was a teenager in the 1990's. Being a '68, it was just shy of the legal requirement in the US for shoulder belts(started with model year 1969). So, I didn't put them in. Well, one night some Jack hole pulled out in front of me last minute and I T-Boned him going about 50mph. I'm a big dude, about 260...was pretty strong back then. I could bench press my weight and then some. Well, at that speed, I couldn't overcome the momentum and just bent the steering wheel forward with my face. Cut my lip up pretty bad(still have a scar) but I was lucky(also have a thick skull, but that's another story). Get shoulder belts, people. They're cheap insurance. Plus, you could be the safest driver put there, but the other jerk ruins it for you(my "68 was totalled).

Also, side topic: what the heck is it with all the seat belt mounting options on Series trucks? The parts manual is kind of vague...but just search seatbelt mounting bracket on ebay and you get at least 5 factory options not in the manual. Try it...