PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line, hard or soft?

IppoJ
12-02-2022, 10:11 AM
I'm tracing a diesel leak (yellow) in my newly acquired SIII.
Can someone tell me if this line (in RED) should be a hardline with a banjo fitting or if the soft hose that's installed is correct.

TIA, cheers.

charles1943
12-02-2022, 04:22 PM
The 'pipe' outlined in red looks correct to me but what's circled in yellow suggests that there's a crimp in the nylon hose, which may B affecting its operation adversely. U might B able to "remove" the crimp by taking the hose off and heating it up VERY gently with a heat gun or hair dryer, being supercareful not to get it too hot (!!!) When U straighten it U could "reshape" it GENTLY with a pair of pliers and 2 half sections of slightly-larger steel tubing that acts as a jig, removing the pressure on them once everything's cooled. This part of the hose will probably be vulnerable to crimping again; if I were making the [hack] 'repair' I would lockwire the 'jigs' in place to act as a long-term splint. Lots of medical terms there; I used 2 work in the O.R. Now I keep old Land-Rovers alive for a living. In my own O.R.

IppoJ
12-03-2022, 09:59 AM
The 'pipe' outlined in red looks correct to me but what's circled in yellow suggests that there's a crimp in the nylon hose, … In my own O.R.

Thanks For the reply Doc!
Had a chance to look at it a bit more.
As soon as I touched that line it popped off. What looks like a kink is a tear.
Looking at the diagram for it, both a soft line and hard line fittings are shown.

I’ll buy a length of 3/16” fuel line and see what happens.