PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Out of Gear

LandRoverRo
08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
My SIII has just started popping out of 2nd gear.
Any suggestions as to what might be causing it? Selector rod? Worn gears?

Thanks.

yorker
08-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Worn distance piece.

Jim-ME
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
When my origional Rover started popping out of 4th gear it was a bad syncro.

Dubv1980
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Mine pops out of 1st and 2nd. How big of an operation is it to fix whats ailing the transmission?

Chris

Les Parker
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello there,

Do you have an overdrive fitted? Does the speedo fluctuate?
Either of these could indicate a loose mainshaft nut, easy enough to check, remove the top PTO selector cover and see if there is any free play on the lock nut on the rear of the mainshaft.

LH Drive
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Hello there,

Either of these could indicate a loose mainshaft nut, easy enough to check, remove the top PTO selector cover and see if there is any free play on the lock nut on the rear of the mainshaft.
You just described my transmission problem. It only jumps out of first gear so I have to start it in second or hold it in first with constant forward pressure, if not out it goes.

badvibes
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Les-

My speedo fluctuates wildly, no overdrive fitted. I've had 3rd gear pop out a couple of times on long downhill coasts. Is the speedo thing indicative of a tranny problem? I've wondered what was going on with it and have no clue...

Jeff

singingcamel
08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
lube your speedo cable with some graphite ,that should solve your speedo problem... or it may be a bad or worn speedo head.speedo in the tranny can cause this as well but the most common cause is a dry cable gear ..
LH the parts went out today...marc

badvibes
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Marc-

Thanks for the info. I replaced the speedo cable and lubed it with light machine oil recently. I realize now that may make the cable sticky down the road. I sent you a PM.

Jeff

jp-
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I thought there was a thread a while back where everyone said that if it jumps out of gear it is bad detent springs (or pins). Is that not the case?

I've never had any Rovers jump out of gear.

LandRoverRo
08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello there,

Either of these could indicate a loose mainshaft nut, easy enough to check, remove the top PTO selector cover and see if there is any free play on the lock nut on the rear of the mainshaft.I may sound a little dense here, but where will I find the top PTO selector cover? I'm about to pull out the gearbox, transfer case and overdrive to fix some leaks and look into the gear problem, but if I don't have to, I'll be very happy.
My problem is somewhat sporadic. It goes into 2nd easily but sometimes seems to want to creep out but I think perhaps it's only when my hand is resting on the gear shift (bad form I know, but c'mon, everyone does it).

does this sound like a distance sleeve problem as mentioned earlier?

TSR53
08-15-2007, 02:32 PM
The "top PTO Cover" is the black rectangle in the top LH area of this photo.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/HRT1002.jpg

Dubv1980
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
In response to Les's question, yes my speedo does bounce (even after I just replaced it with a new cable after the old one broke) and I do have a Fairey overdrive fitted. What is this piece that may be loose that I need to check...is it something that can be tightened or does it need to be replaced?

Chris

Les Parker
08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Ref the mainshaft nut access, the plate is the top left hand side one, as shown in Thompson's great picture of a transmission.
As you have an overdrive fitted, you will have to remove the overdrive unit to access the mainshaft nut.
As to the fluctating speedo, the speedo drive is held onto the output shaft by friction only, so if the rear output shaft nut (in the centre of the handbrake drum) has probably backed off and will need to be tightened (to 90 ft lbs).
Removal of the front 4 nuts from the rear drive shaft (prop shaft) is neede to access the rear drive shaft nut.
Another indicator of a loose output shaft nut is a collection of transfer case oil leaking from between the handbrake drum and its backing plate.
Hope this helps,

:)

Dubv1980
08-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I'll look into this, sounds like it might be the solution to my problem.

Chris

LandRoverRo
08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Does the symptom of fluctuating speedo, combined with having an overdrive fitted and the possibility of a loose mainshaft nut have anything to do with a grinding (possibly jumping out of) second gear which was the original question?

I'm keen to investigate the possibility of a loose main as being the reason my speedo is fluctuating though, so all of this information is very useful and interesting.

Hopefully I'll get on to it this weekend and report back.

LandRoverRo
08-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Just been having a look around my transfer case. Les, you mentioned looking in the top PTO cover and seeing if the nut is loose. I can't see anything inside that cover except for one gear and a large cylinder that heads on back to the overdrive. I removed the other cover to the right and could only see a clamp for the low range selector lever. No sign of any other nut let alone a loose one.
Also, I noticed above the top PTO cover, a thread with a lock washer, both of which are loose. What does this do? Any help greatly appreciated.

BackInA88
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
The gear and cylinder (as you call it) is part of your O/D.
To see the nut I believe Les is refering to, you have to remove the overdrive (I don't think Les knew you had an O/D fitted).
It will be the nut holding your O/D drive sprocket to the trans output shaft it also has a needle bearing on it.

The nut and screw you are asking about is an over travel stop for the reverse shifter rod. If you romove the cover right above it on the trans you can see how the screw works and be able to set it correctly.
I believe it is set at .002 clearance to the to the reverse shifter rod and the head of the screw, with the trans in reverse.
Check the Green Bible for more info.

I would also check the detent balls and springs to be sure they are moving freely and holding your shift rods in place for the gear selected.
The ball and spring for second is on the right side of the trans under the 90 degree steel clip that has the 2 bolts holding it in place, watch to catch the spring and ball when you remove the chip. And the round rubber seal will most likely be shot and need to be replaced afterwards. There is also a cap between the the 2 clips on the top of the trans. You can remove this and spray in some WD-40 and move the shifter around to see if this will free up your detent balls.
Also spray it into the springs and balls under the clips.

How many miles are on your rig?

BackInA88
08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
In response to Les's question, yes my speedo does bounce (even after I just replaced it with a new cable after the old one broke) and I do have a Fairey overdrive fitted. What is this piece that may be loose that I need to check...is it something that can be tightened or does it need to be replaced?

Chris

After checking all the above to correct my bouncy speedo I bought one off Ebay, probelm solved!!!

LandRoverRo
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
The gear and cylinder (as you call it) is part of your O/D.
To see the nut I believe Les is refering to, you have to remove the overdrive (I don't think Les knew you had an O/D fitted).
It will be the nut holding your O/D drive sprocket to the trans output shaft it also has a needle bearing on it.

The nut and screw you are asking about is an over travel stop for the reverse shifter rod. If you romove the cover right above it on the trans you can see how the screw works and be able to set it correctly.
I believe it is set at .002 clearance to the to the reverse shifter rod and the head of the screw, with the trans in reverse.
Check the Green Bible for more info.

I would also check the detent balls and springs to be sure they are moving freely and holding your shift rods in place for the gear selected.
The ball and spring for second is on the right side of the trans under the 90 degree steel clip that has the 2 bolts holding it in place, watch to catch the spring and ball when you remove the chip. And the round rubber seal will most likely be shot and need to be replaced afterwards. There is also a cap between the the 2 clips on the top of the trans. You can remove this and spray in some WD-40 and move the shifter around to see if this will free up your detent balls.
Also spray it into the springs and balls under the clips.

How many miles are on your rig?Thanks very much for your clarification. I was contemplating removing everything for an inspection and cleanup so I guess I would have found that out eventually. I'm being stubborn though and trying to avoid taking everything off. I miss driving it so I want to get back on the road ASAP.
I'll be investing in a Green Bible here shortly.
Thanks once again to all and to our wonderful LR community.:thumb-up:

jp-
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Please tell me that you didn't turn the nut with the red circle on it...

You never ever turn that nut!

Ever!

Unless you are trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance.

Then it's ok.

LandRoverRo
08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Please tell me that you didn't turn the nut with the red circle on it...

You never ever turn that nut!

Ever!

Unless you are trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance.

Then it's ok.Ummm...well, I did turn it. It was loose and the top PTO cover wouldn't come off with it sticking out. Plus I was trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance...????

South Larry
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem with my '73 Series III... I'm jumping out of 2nd when ever I reduce power. I do have an overdrive fitted but no fluctuation on my speedo. (By the way...why did they print speeds above 45mph on those speedos??) Ive heard so many solutions for this popping-out problem that I'm not sure if I need to crack the tranny or replace the top.......
Thanks

ybt502r
06-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I've got an early 80's SIII with the same problem (jumps out of 2nd when reducing power - it's sometimes hard to get into 2nd too). I've an overdrive and no issues with the speedo. I'm suspecting - from all the reading I can do - that this has something to do with the detent balls. I've never tackled them and don't know what fixing them would involve (cleaning, new spring, new ball, ?). I'd like to know the steps to work my way to solving this one, hopefully without step one being "remove transmission".