PDA

View Full Version : S2a Starter Wiring Question

mtbugeye
06-01-2023, 09:41 AM
I have a 1969 S2a, Petrol with keyed ignition. I have been having lots of intermittent starter issues.

Q: Where do I attach the “S” terminal starter solenoid wire to energize and use the solenoid with aftermarket starter? Diagrams just say "ignition". Do I attach to fuse block - have both key-on hot and always hot spades available on my Lucas bulkhead fuse block, or directly to coil?

Issue for background; the Bendix gear or spring was sticking on original starter. I pulled, cleaned and lubricated – still stuck after start. Original starter being rebuilt, I purchased a High-Torque “British Starters” unit that has been a nightmare with intermittent engagements and incorrect flywheel engagement. Zero assistance from "British Starters"! I pulled the bulkhead solenoid, tested good for 12vlt in and out, cleaned and prepped all grounds and connections, Battery – 12.7 cold / 13.8 running. Still just a “click”. Starter Bench test resulted in intermittent engagement as well.

Current wiring: Battery (+) cable directly to the starter large terminal, Jumper 10ga. ground wire back to the battery (-) post with primary short heavy ground strap from starter case to cross-member. 2nd heavy positive cable from large starter terminal back to hot side of the bulkhead solenoid to run ignition and accessories so all is hot when key-on. I need to connect the smaller “S” terminal to energize the solenoid on the starter. Suggestions?

I just purchased a Startrex starter (with on-board solenoid) from “Roamerdrive” to install and I want the wiring right. I plan to use the starter’s on-board solenoid.
Thankyou!

roverp480
06-01-2023, 01:38 PM
I take it that your original starter had a Bendix drive with a separate starter solenoid on the bulkhead and your replacement is a pre engaged one. The original white wire with a red trace , this is the one the ignition switch operated to energise the starter solenoid, should be disconnected from the old solenoid and extended to reach the new starter motor smaller S terminal

mtbugeye
06-02-2023, 02:20 PM
Thank you. Correct, I am converting from original Bendix drive starter with correct bulkhead solenoid to a modern starter with on-board solenoid. I will find the original ignition wire to energize the new starter at its spade terminal.