PDA

View Full Version : Viscous coupling

billfish
08-19-2007, 10:34 PM
92' RRC......130k. Seized VC. Plan on keeping as it is a good vehicle so the question.........should I try and buy a reman transfer case or just replace the VC?

Missed a new VC for ~300 bucks by seconds on Ebay.....:mad: computer froze at the end of the auction so I am left with one from a salvage yard for 400 bucks(63k on it) or buying a new one. If I could get a deal on a new one that is the best option and preferred but no easy task. Anybody know the whereabouts of one?

Thanks in advance.

Fish

morrij6
08-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I've never replaced the VC but I believe you need to pull the transfer case to do the job. At that point you may want to just upgrade to a used LT230 from an earlier RRC or a Disco I.

jason
90rrc
rovermechanic.com

scott95LWB
10-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I replaced my viscous coupling on my 95 LWB classic with a new one from England, the price was less than $500 and the shipping was fast about 3 days.

The web site
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

I hope that helps!

jcb-memphis
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Anyone know a US source for rebuilt units?

Thanks.

93 lwb in need of a bw viscous coupling

phoenix
05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
as far as I know there isn't someone publically accepting to overhaul b/w t cases, most people who experience problems simply do the lt230 swap.
any half way decent transmission shop shall be able to overhaul any type of tcase.

jcb-memphis
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
as far as I know there isn't someone publically accepting to overhaul b/w t cases, most people who experience problems simply do the lt230 swap.
any half way decent transmission shop shall be able to overhaul any type of tcase.

I am now confused. No one will rebuild a Borg Warner VC or any good transmission shop will do so? I have a great mechanic...the issue is if I can find a VC or do I need to do an LT230.

On the LT230, how does one "use" it compared ot the stock vc.....say I am driving along and it is raining...am I in AWD all the time still? Where do you put the extra lever/dash light information if you have a 93lwb?

Anyone have a modified truck with the lt230 than could post a picture?

TIA

phoenix
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
my apologies for a confusing post, Imeant that quite often owners get fed up with the axle breaking that normally happens with a failed vc on a b/w so they swap to an lt230. but if you were to visit a transmission shop they can overhaul your b/w.
many guys on these forums opose to the overhaul of a b/w looking for an excuse to swap to a lt230.
the lt 230 acts like a locker, in fact it is a third differential, during normal driving it splits the front to rear traction 30/70 with the most traction at the rear.... if you happen to loose traction say due to one wheel front or back havving fallen in to a ditch or somehow off the ground, you will feel the truck wanting to continue moving due to the 30/70 split, in this case it will transfer 70% or more to the wheel with the least traction and the remaining 30 to the wheel firmly on the ground.
at this time you stop the drive train and move the lever to the lock position this gives you the 50/50 front to rear split. this last bit is what the b/w does automatically due to it's vc, its vc acts as a limited slip and not as a locker it has limitations where on the lt230 you can choose manually, the vc on the b/w chooses for you and sometimes it does not choose wisely and that is a reason for for the swap.
on the lt230 just as the b/w you must select low or high manually depending on the terrain you travel.
I own 3 rovers, two of them have b/w one has lt230, one of the b/w equipped unit does a lot of towing over the road (pull a 20 foot trailer)
I would not want an lt230 in it due to fact of the trailer, lR reccoments that if you tow you must lock the lt230 for better control, it is true the lt230 towing and unlocked tends to make your truck wander a bit, that is why I love to tow with a bw.
the other two units see off road and on road service, I have yet to experience dissapointments from either one and quite often I find my self in mud or water with both the b/w and non b/w t cases.
I have spare cases one of each, I guess if one shall go I would definetively consider a swap.
on your truck, for the swap you would need the lever and extra rod that comes with the lt230 as well as the front shaft from the donor truck as the b/w shaft is longer. other wise is is a straight 2 to 3 hour job.
consider both, take yours to be evaluated for an over haul and at the same time price the swap.
I donot reccoment installing a used b/w since they use an internal drive chain vs gears onthe lt230, so when the vc fails the chain suffers and very soon it fails. further more you do not know if the vc in the used b/w is a failed unit, so you may find your self in the same story you started.
the last reason many guys do the swap is over all cost of repairs, the lt230 is mechanical and uses gears.
the b/w uses clutches inside its v/c and the v/c is non serviceable.
b/w is much more expensive in the long run.
I hope I did not further confuse you.
Carlos z.

jcb-memphis
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks.
jeff

Yseesee
07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Wow phoenix that was a very good explanation between the two transfer cases. I also have a 1992 Range Rover and my problem is a bit different, I need a new chain. I'm in the process of pulling the transfer case now. I sure wish I could say it's a 2 - 3 hour job. It seems like I've been working on getting the thing out for a couple days now. I always run into problems when I do something. I finally got the exhaust disconnected (I had to remove it to drop the transfer case) and I thought I could just drop it and then found out that it hits the lines to the transmission (automatic) and I have to now pull the front stabilizer (County Model) just to get the exhaust out of the way. The transfer case itself is clean and there aren’t any leaks. I’m hoping to get by with just a chain swap. Is swapping the chain a straight forward... remove old one and install the new one? Are there any helpful tips you or anyone else can provide?

Thanks, Yseesee