PDA

View Full Version : Oh, SNAP!

Mike Koch
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
When a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/Mike_Koch/IMG_1097.jpg

Admittedly, I laughed out loud when the shift lever snapped...probably because I was thankfully parked in front of my house when it "detonated." Thing is, I've always shifted ever so gingerly. No worries, it's almost rectified.

Mike

PS-Please note what a long term clutch master cyl. leak will do to floor paint.

I Leak Oil
08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I was driving with a friend of mine in his SIIa and the same thing happened. Luckily there was enough there to get a Vise-Grip on to use as a shifter. Got us home atleast...
Jason T.

PH4
08-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Is this a common issue? Does this occur on any particular Series shifter? Seems like a nice way to get stranded in the middle of no where.

2rovers
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Been there and done that too!
I have had two break off on me. I have welded one to keep as a spare with a couple inches cut off.
Not that hard to replace, but what a hassel!

yorker
08-29-2007, 06:14 PM
That is pretty common, but a pain every time!

xrover
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
And here I was thinking my overheating problem was a pain.

Good thing it happened in the drive or, you would have had to do some walking.

Thinking of keeping a spare with me now...

giorgio
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
The same thing happened to me several years ago on my Series III, I had to do the vise grip thing for a while. I found someone to weld it back on, but he got it just a little too far angled rearward, and I am still having trouble knowing what gear it is in.

msggunny
08-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Same here, had it snap in my driveway in Uganda. Supprised the heck out of me. Thought it was from my "agressive" driving style.

Fun, Fun, Fun.

jp-
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I foresee a recall.

...Gear shift lever can break off while at a standstill or while driving... This could lead to unusual driving style, and loss of control while moving... Vehicular damage is less likely to occur if said breakage occurs at standstill...

xrover
09-01-2007, 02:03 PM
RECALL!!! I would expect LR to come back with the statement of "ACCEPTABLE WEAR AND TEAR" "NOT WARRANTEED"

Or something like that... :thumb-up:

scott
09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
i slam mine around alot. i guess the rovagods favor me. i guess i shouldn't had said that, i guess that'll be the next thing to snap now

Mike_S
10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok, so it happened to me on my Series III! Thankfully I remembered the vise grips post and was able to make it home.

Now, here's the issue - most of the replacement parts I see are not the same type - what to do??

Mike

gudjeon
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Well darn it all. They don't make anything to last more than 30 or 40 years anymore:rolleyes:

tmckeon88
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I've had that happen twice - once on the highway driving south out of Santiago, Chile. When we pulled over we were mobbed by a truckload of gypsies who wanted to "help!" Good times. Found a helpful welder who got us back on the road in about three hours and I think that repair is still holding, after 7 years. I think the vibration of the transmission and all the shifting fatigues the metal over time and it snaps, like a paper clip you bewnd back and forth repeatedly.