PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hub seals disintegrated, bearings damaged

Ben Rover
08-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I recently changed the rear brakes on my 97 Disco, calipers, seals everything. It was my first time and I think I made some costly mistakes... After about 2 months the rear driver side wheel was making a squeak while breaking but much louder than a break pad worn out sound. I pulled it apart this morning and the horror started...

Everything had come loose inside. One metal ring was shredded to about half it's size. The 2 large hex nuts were chamfered along their edges and the outer hub seal was completely shredded. There were rubber and metal shavings everywhere, including in the wheel bearings. The inner hub seal was starting the be destroyed as well.

What could have been the cause for this massive failure? Obviously my lousy workmanship and lack of experience but beyond that? Not enough grease, overheating, too tightened?

I'm gonna order new bearings and seals but now I'm worried about the other wheels as well!

Help!

sven
08-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah it sounds like you overtightened the big nut for the wheel bearing adjustment. Good thing is that the wheel bearings are widely availibe at Napa, Advanced Auto, etc. Part #37, A37, BRG37 all the same. Check the spindles too, the bearings can weld themselves to it!